• 1 Post By Paxbritannia
  • 5 Post By RobRoy
  • 1 Post By Shiojiri Hiro
  • 1 Post By jgl

Best hotel buffet for seafood

Closed Thread

Best hotel buffet for seafood

What are the latest recommendations?

Cafe Too @ Island Shangri La .... best to check what their offerings are, am not sure what their current level of service is like.

Restaurant cafe TOO : International | Island Shangri-La Hong Kong

I wouldn't have thought that buffets of all things would be all that Covid friendly on a hygiene pov. Not to mention the ethical aspect of just how much food waste that these places cause, especially when Hong Kong is the most wasteful city on earth for A/ food waste and B/ one of, if not the largest consumer of seafood in the world.

Sorry to be a buzz kill but it isn't 1970 anymore.

blandy62 and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Sorry to be a buzz kill but it isn't 1970 anymore.
    There is always one person in the group..

I do suspect that hotels, esp the top end ones have some fairly efficient methods since well .. its not the 1970s.
    jgl, Joie Lai and KEM.UK like this.

Buffets also terrible from a health / obesity perspective in that they encourage overeating.

Skyhook likes this.

Buffets are terribly wasteful of the letter "f". We should rename them "bufets" as every time someone uses the double "f" they are wasting an "f" that could go to a needy friendly French firefighter in Fontainebleau.

And as discussed interminably already, Covid is close enough to non-existent here, not sure how eating at a buffet vs a fully packed out chaa chaan teng with little perspex dividers will make any difference.

Do you want cold seafood (french style) or hot? the big hotels have lots of the cold stuff.

For the hot stuff, I like the poolside BBQ buffet at the grand hyatt. the teppanyaki king prawns at the convention centre (congress?) used to be really good. Some of the grilled seafood at the one in the revolving resto at the hopewell centre was also nice (though people preferred the fois gras). All this was pre-covid though I know the Grand Hyatt one is still going.

IF you want western seafood but dont need a buffet, the poolside place at the marriott is also decent. I'd give it a few weeks before going though as it's outdoors.

Last edited by Shiojiri Hiro; 13-09-2021 at 02:43 PM.
    KEM.UK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    There is always one person in the group..

I do suspect that hotels, esp the top end ones have some fairly efficient methods since well .. its not the 1970s.
    My point about 1970 was that buffets were very much a habit from that time period. The only difference is that they don't serve big trays of lobster Thermidor like they once did.

The whole buffet thing did amuse me in Hong Kong, how it was 'still' a thing, and over here the only folks I see that are interested in it are working class families, but even then it seems to be a dying habit with Sizzler finally closing down, AT LAST! Funny factoid about that, when I discovered that Jardine Mathieson were the largest investor of Sizzler and Pizza Hut family restaurants in Australia which have also died in the ass. Which I think is actually a good thing.

I dont enjoy buffet as much anymore. But as a young 20-something coming to HK from a cold Nordic country the buffet at for example Cafe Too was something out of another world for me. All my friends and family that visited, I wanted to share this amazing spread at such an affordable price. I think almost everyone who tried it was either impressed or blown away. I guess its my working class background that shines through

Since I was so into buffet I ate at many of these multiple times:
    Grand Cafe
    Tiffin
    Cafe Too
    Cafe Kool
    Conrad
    JW Marriot The Lounge
    The Market
    Clipper Lounge

For consistency of cold sea-food quality I would rank Cafe Too at the top. JW Marriot a close second.

We have now switched more to brunches, where I enjoy places with a combination of ordering as much as you like, often starters and or dessert and a main dish. La Rambla is a favorite of mine.

Joie Lai, jgl, Beuze and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    My point about 1970 was that buffets were very much a habit from that time period. The only difference is that they don't serve big trays of lobster Thermidor like they once did.

The whole buffet thing did amuse me in Hong Kong, how it was 'still' a thing, and over here the only folks I see that are interested in it are working class families, but even then it seems to be a dying habit with Sizzler finally closing down, AT LAST! Funny factoid about that, when I discovered that Jardine Mathieson were the largest investor of Sizzler and Pizza Hut family restaurants in Australia which have also died in the ass. Which I think is actually a good thing.
    Or that that many of us have just gotten older, our metabolisms have slowed down, the allure of buffets has diminished.

Some of the slightly more flash hotels in Sydney still lay out good spreads. The Intercontinental has a good dinner buffet. Doesn't appeal to me anymore as I simply don't eat as much as I used to.
    KEM.UK likes this.