Like Tree9Likes

Cooking oil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cooking oil

I was using extra virgin olive oil to shallow fry things on medium temps but was told due to a lower smoke point to use regular olive oil. Basically, if it smokes, it's bad.

I don't eat deep fried food but my helper does so occasionally for certain things that the rest of my family likes, so I use canola oil for that. Should I be using something healthier for deep frying for the kids or am I correct to assume all deep frying is bad? What approach do you take, everything in moderation?

One other thing, I've read lots of articles and reports about the benefits of drinking a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil a day for health. Anyone do this? I've also read how a large amount of EVOO in supermarkets is crap, so best to buy from reputable sources which verify the polyphenol count. Thoughts?

There’s a super useful YouTube channel called Talon Fitness which does nutrition tiers for many food types incl veg, fruits, nuts, fish, oil, etc.

https://youtu.be/zmVJMroKoS4?si=WFOuanFlqyWt0d6Z

Tl:dr - safflower and sunflower oils are your best bets for neutral flavored, higher heat cooking whilst minimizing saturated fats.

muzzdang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    There’s a super useful YouTube channel called Talon Fitness which does nutrition tiers for many food types incl veg, fruits, nuts, fish, oil, etc.

https://youtu.be/zmVJMroKoS4?si=WFOuanFlqyWt0d6Z

Tl:dr - safflower and sunflower oils are your best bets for neutral flavored, higher heat cooking whilst minimizing saturated fats.
    I've read vegetables oils (including canola and why i'm looking for a better deep frying oil) are one of the worst foods you can eat due to the higher omega 6 content that can cause inflammation.
    Chekki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:

One other thing, I've read lots of articles and reports about the benefits of drinking a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil a day for health. Anyone do this? I've also read how a large amount of EVOO in supermarkets is crap, so best to buy from reputable sources which verify the polyphenol count. Thoughts?
    Yes! I use it as salad dressing. I buy regular Olive Oil for cooking and vegetable oils. We don't tend to deep fry anymore and use an Air Fryer.

Never heard of issues with omega 6. Would take the high oleic monounsaturated fat veg oils over a chance of inflammation IMO

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsl...y-omega-6-fats

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    Never heard of issues with omega 6. Would take the high oleic monounsaturated fat veg oils over a chance of inflammation IMO

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsl...y-omega-6-fats
    It's not about omega 6's being bad, the ratio of 6's to 3's is much higher.

Use avocado oil

Name:  Benexia_Smoke-Point-1.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  127.3 KB

Good old peanut oil for occasional deep fry, Sunflower oil for regular cooking, Sesame oil in Winter, Extra virgin Olive oil for Pasta etc, Homemade Coconut oil for Srilankan dishes (Courtesy DH), Ghee on (Non-Frozen) freshly made Chapati..

Deep Fry = Peanut oil, no other oil can beat the taste, simple..

muzzdang likes this.

A good old sprinkling of Castrol GTX never caused me any problems on the barbecue

bsh likes this.

Is there such a thing as healthy deep frying? Sounds like something a Scot would say...

I too use an airfryer now. I guess in my mind, if i'm going to eat stuff like tempura I might as well have it 'properly' deep fried but only have it once every X months rather than regularly. Otherwise airfry...(airfried frozen chips are amazing)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast