Like Tree32Likes

treat for table of 12 for 200-300 HKD / head

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Probably best to go for dim sum, which easily should fit within budget.

Maxims City Hall (I think you can book for large groups) would easily go within the budget.

shri, PLamHK, ktc and 3 others like this.

...if there's an option to cross over the border into SZ/ DG/ GZ then you'll be in for a treat with that budget

ktc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Probably best to go for dim sum, which easily should fit within budget.

Maxims City Hall (I think you can book for large groups) would easily go within the budget.
    I thought City Hall was just weekends?

Thanks for the suggestions and tips - I appreciate people taking the time out to reply. I'll check each of them out, and any others, over the coming days. @shri @East_coast, my visit is more social and I don't have local colleagues any more so I'll have to do my own leg work, but you nice people on this thread are doing a great job as my de-facto local colleagues.

OMG, how HK has become so expensive over the past few years as @jimbo says. I recall my Peninsula tea was 200ish so inflation plus some.

I like that HK is still one of the few developed world cities where people can just about eat modestly on a budget of around 100HKD for the whole day (yes that does mean a $5 bun for breakfast - it was $1.5 when I was here last!). I didn't realise how limited my options were.

It looks like my choice is either a memorable venue with limited food, or nice food at a standard restaurant. The last time I spent any extended time here, I recall the government were rolling out food trucks to diversify the food scene, but I'm not sure how that went.

I like @mengfei's suggestion of going across the border, and would have done so in the past, but as I need a visa it's too much hassle. The added dilemma is a few of the guests are from the mainland, and they routinely eat out at mid-price restaurants over there, so although I'd remember a nice Chinese meal in HK, I doubt whether it would be memorable to them. I did once entertain a couple of younger mainland visitors at a Belgian beer/mussels place somewhere near LKF and that went down really well, but I think it's not so suitable this time.

Thanks again to everyone. All the best...

Just wondering out loud if a catered gathering for a party of 12 might be a thing in HK?

From there, creative search for a venue could bring up some interesting possibilities. Any rent-able event spaces up at the Peak? In the states, some forest preserves are outfitted with gazebos & picnic tables for groups applying for Permitted use within a time window. Maybe the caterer may offer ideas of their own.

ktc likes this.

for that price range, you're really looking at dim sum for lunch. Forbidden Duck in quarry bay is decent value and nice decor so could be considered a 'treat'.

ktc and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    I thought City Hall was just weekends?
    Open everyday, but they have a walk-in only policy, or rather a queue system where you can only get a ticket on the day (an app called Gulu). But as I remember for large enough parties and 12 should be enough, you can call and reserve in advance. It really is one of the very best affordable but still somewhat luxurious/memorable options left in the city.
    huja, PLamHK and ktc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Open everyday, but they have a walk-in only policy, or rather a queue system where you can only get a ticket on the day (an app called Gulu). But as I remember for large enough parties and 12 should be enough, you can call and reserve in advance. It really is one of the very best affordable but still somewhat luxurious/memorable options left in the city.
    City Hall was always on the "greatest hits" tour for my first-time HK visitors. There is better dim sum, but the combination of food, view, old-school carts, and grandness is hard to beat.
    ktc and East_coast like this.

@ktc very random but many years ago, my local colleagues arranged a work lunch here in Wan Chai (we worked nearby). When I had some out of town friends visit, and City Hall was too busy, I took them here and they were very pleased by a much more local experience. Check it out if it helps you:

(nothing special, just classic good dim sum)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/igaHqW6WQ7Kyf6kV7

ktc likes this.

Thanks for all the suggestions, many of which were very appealing. As an update for anyone coming to this thread in the future for ideas, we went for Joyous Gate Banquet on Nathan Rd in Jordan, mainly because the meal was changed to the evening and this fit the budget. The venue was pretty ordinary but the food was very good - 10 courses of the usual Chinese banquet food for about 2700 for 12 (actually 13 turned up but there was enough food and we just paid the 'tea' surcharge).

On my search I came across some nice afternoon tea ideas on the site sassyhongkong - my link to the webpage was rejected by the mods, but a quick search will show a few well written articles.

all the best...

CarterTG and huja like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2