Resonable Corkage / Markup for Wine in Mid-range & Up Restaurants

Resonable Corkage / Markup for Wine in Mid-range & Up Restaurants

It is increasingly bugging me that at mid-range restaurants (I mean things like Black Sheep group, for example) the markups on drinks are getting absurd. I'm happy to pay $500-800/head for a nice dinner, where the restaurant is clearly adding all the value to the ingredients that they buy. But I'm really not then happy to pay another $500 for a bottle of cheap wine that I know I can buy retail for $100 (and even more extreme prices for even slightly upmarket wine). The prices for spirits are even more absurd - there are places that charge more for a gin and tonic than it would cost to buy the entire bottle of gin.

So, after that little rant, can anyone recommend mid+ range restaurants (of pretty much any cuisine, although Chinese of any kind is less-favoured) that have either a wine list where the markup is three times retail or less, or which have a corkage charge of $250/bottle or less?

Private kitchens might be the way to go?

If you don't mind travelling, I can recommend Masala Bay in CWB, you can take as much booze as you want without any corkage.

Thanks for the reminder about Masala Bay; seems like a minimum party of 8 is needed, but I can get that together occasionally. Anyone got any other current Private Kitchen recommendations?

I used to love Little Kitchen in Sai Wan Ho, but that closed down in 2019.

try bistro du vin and tmk,

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    try bistro du vin and tmk,
    Thanks. we like Bistro du Vin and their "buy one, get one free corkage" policy.

TMK appears to a chain of loud music bars with a very limited list of crap wines, not a mid+ market restaurant. Am I misunderstanding something?

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:

TMK appears to a chain of loud music bars with a very limited list of crap wines, not a mid+ market restaurant. Am I misunderstanding something?
    your description of TMK is very appropriate. food is good and we always have a good time @ a very reasonable price. drink their $100 sake then you dont need to BYO

I belong to a meet up group & she promotes wines, she finds restaurants for free corkage. Her meet up is Happy, fun wine dinner lunch buddies. You can check the restaurants she goes to including Asian & Western.

you are paying their rent