best french style restaurant

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Mrs PDLM and I went last night, and I apologise for recommending this place on the basis of friends' comments rather than going there myself. In summary, much of the food is competent (but some of it is very basic), the service is hit and miss, and the wine situation is bizarre. My more detailed review is here.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Mrs PDLM and I went last night, and I apologise for recommending this place on the basis of friends' comments rather than going there myself. In summary, much of the food is competent (but some of it is very basic), the service is hit and miss, and the wine situation is bizarre. My more detailed review is here.
    Read your blog post and mostly agree with your comments. In my experience the noise factor very much depends on whether there is a big party close by and whether one has a table in the 'main area' (only curtain-style dividers) or off to the (right hand) side (more substantial partitions).
    The wine situation that you described is indeed bizarre. Hong Kong has some weird practices (e.g., Featherboa), but I have never experienced anything like that at Le Marron - both my local Chinese friends and I have bought bottles of wine there on several occasions (and were never refused the wine list).

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH:
    The man has more experience then a Michelin Guide, and EXTREMELY difficult I was hoping i can show him a great wonderful French (possibly Italian) restaurant during his one week stay in Hong Kong.
    What's your budget and what are you looking for in a restaurant? There're various good french restaurants in different price ranges.

If your parent likes contemporary French cuisine, L'Atelier de Joey Robuchon at Landmark is a choice - it's a 3-star Michelin restaurant. I was there again on the Boxing Day and it's OK.

My all time favourite is Patrus at Island Shangri-la Hotel. Though their deco is cocky, their cuisine always put the customers at the heart of their concerns and preparations. While you taste it, you are tasting an art piece.

PDLM, is the background image used in the web site an actual photo of the restaurant?

maybe Le Merron thinks that all local and filipinos are undercover cops.

I think so, although we didn't get a tour and were tucked away in our own little curtained-off space.

Quote Originally Posted by LiaMona:
    If your parent likes contemporary French cuisine, L'Atelier de Joey Robuchon at Landmark is a choice - it's a 3-star Michelin restaurant. I was there again on the Boxing Day and it's OK.
    No, it is a two star restaurant according to Michelin. For my opinion/comments, see further up in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LiaMona:
    My all time favourite is Patrus at Island Shangri-la Hotel. Though their deco is cocky, their cuisine always put the customers at the heart of their concerns and preparations. While you taste it, you are tasting an art piece.
    I mentioned that one previously as well - but the name is Petrus.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I wonder why the OP chose to stick to French (style) restaurants. Surely a trip all the way to Hong Kong is an invitation to try a top-notch Chinese restaurant...

maybe the OP's father wants to see how his fellow country-people eat french food outside of france.

i always take my inlaws to Boston Restaurant to experience local steak house "Hong Kong" style.

Quote Originally Posted by lulumay:
    maybe the OP's father wants to see how his fellow country-people eat french food outside of france.

i always take my inlaws to Boston Restaurant to experience local steak house "Hong Kong" style.
    If that was the case the OP should have bring them to delifrance

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    If that was the case the OP should have bring them to delifrance
    Actually Delifrance is Singaporean