HK restaurant caters to feline lovers

Closed Thread

HK restaurant caters to feline lovers

A restaurant established in Hong Kong especially for cats has been attracting the young and trendy.

At the apartment named Cat Store, you can do more than just eat.

You can also browse through second-hand toys for sale, read a comic book with coffee or just chill with some very cool cats.

It all started with a man named "Cat", an avid collector who ran out of space at home for his ever-growing collection of second-hand cat memorabilia.

He started a store to sell the items, but decided that it was too boring.

So he tossed around a few ideas, and hit on a winning formula!

"He's at the shop, the cat is at home. So he brought it to work one day. People who came to look at his wares also started to play with his cat. From there, it became a place for eating, drinking and they got to play with cats too," said Cat Store co-owner Cynthia Leung.

Cynthia, Cat's personal friend, was roped in to be a co-owner of Cat Store.

She is known as the resident "Catwoman", accompanied by seven cats which are much sought after by customers.

"A lot of customers do ask whether there are cats but they really do want to carry them, play with them," she said.

Considering that there is constantly a roomful of people vying for their attention, it would seem these cats are pretty well behaved - at least most of the time.

"They really don't give you much trouble. But when the flies come in, they'll become really excited, they've broken lamps before. When there're less people in the restaurant, they'll jump about.

"Our customers, especially the girls, become really scared when they start jumping about all of a sudden. When they dash past, they go 'Ahh!'," said Cynthia.

In keeping with the feline theme, the eatery's most popular dish just happens to be salmon with cream sauce and spaghetti.

Also in high demand is the cheese cake prepared by a chef, who has long since learnt to keep an eye on resident diva Faye-faye's antics in the kitchen.

For the hip and trendy younger crowd, Cat Store is fast becoming a top choice retreat that provides a refreshing alternative to Hong Kong's many bustling restaurants.

One female diner said: "If you have a lot of friends, it's more comfortable to hang around longer."

On the feline animals themselves, one customer said: "I also like the cats, they're really well-behaved, very friendly. Some might look unfriendly but really, they're very friendly. So I think tourists would like it here, it's a great place to relax."

With seven cats of different personalities taking turns under the spotlight each day of the week, it is easy to see why the eatery attracts fans from all over the globe, as feline lovers spread the word about this unique outlet that caters just for them.

Thumbs up

Much Obliged if you can tell me the address.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

obviously its on Cat Street

*sigh* Lets not scare the new members away.

Its not on Cat Street. The original newspaper article should have an address, if Ace can dig it up.

Sorry nicky I can't find the address as it was not in tht article.... ..... Will try with my 1 or 2 friends if they know abt it...

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Actually I was thinking that cat street is where it shoud be, but this being la la land it obviously has to be somewhere else

voila
    http://www.inwpb.com/catstore1/

Wink

My gf loves pet very much, hence my anxiety to reveal the address. Anyway, I would like to thank all of you.

updated store address!

you guys got the outdated info here's the current address of CAT STORE (aka AH MAU DEI TAAN in cantonese)

CAT STORE
    (aka AH MAU DEI TAAN)
    2A/F HYDE PARK MANSION
    53 PATERSON STREET
    CAUSEWAY BAY
    HONG KONG

TEL: 2710-9953
    FAX: 2394-9554

they got boardgames, theme drinks, good priced food, and CATS to play with and of course trinkets u can buy..as mentioned from the article.

A prewarning...if u go in the evenings or during weekends..it's very crowded and full...so i advise u guys to call them to at least book u a table first..they will hold the table for about 30mins.

And in weekends and some occasions they got live local bands performing...should be free entry unless otherwise stated..they'll tell u if u ring them up

opening hours:
    SUNDAY 2PM-10PM
    FRI-SAT 12PM-12AM
    MON-THUR 12PM-11PM

(last orders for food is 30mins before closing time)

enjoy! ;o)