A good chinese restaurant

Closed Thread

A good chinese restaurant

Some friends of mine from the states are coming over tomorrow, and I want to take them out to a good Chinese restaurant. Preferably one that takes the authentic approach of serving several "community" dishes (opposed to everyone ordering individual meals). I also would like to keep the price range to 150 per person. Easy to find is also important, since I will have to rely on them being able to find it. Any thoughts? Seafood, shanghainese, szechuan, hong kong food--it doesn't matter. Any and all recommendations would be much appreciated!

How about Yung Kee Restaurant on Wellington Street, Central?

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

no brainer

American Restaurant
    20 Lockhart Rd... Wanchai
    Hong Kong
    252 77277

this is on the Admiralty side of Lockhart Rd, dont let the name fool you it is a gem of a place and within your price range.

Yung Kee is ok... not that special and a little bit too much cantonese / roasted meat for me.

haha. I think I will go with the American Restaurant for the mere amusement of seeing their faces when we go there. And I will trust your word that it's good

And as of now, I have 5 people going. But that number may jump to 10 depending on my friends' schedules. Would making reservations be adviseable?

Been to both Yung Kee and American Restaurant. I think the American Restaurant in Wanchai is far more authentic.

Don't understand all the hype about Yung kee.

AA - Trust me, try "American Restaurant" in Wanchai. They do genuine Peking food (pity that you don't fancy Peking Duck at which they are good ) The food is good, and more importantly, with reasonable price. BTW, if you have 10 people, I do recommend that a table be booked in advance.

Yung Kee is nice (the food - especially the goose) but mind you, you & your friends might be shocked when the bills comes...

The other good one is "RED PEPPER" (Sichuan food - very spicy food) in Causeway Bay. You can try one day.

Have a HAPPY Chinese food night

Second the suggestion of Red Pepper in CWB. Also Ye Shanghai in Pacific Place - cant recall price range though for this one.