Like Tree4Likes

Restaurant Review: Steak Expert Mongkok

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Restaurant Review: Steak Expert Mongkok

I wanted to tell my brethern here to avoid Steak Expert at all costs. The place should be called Not Steak Expert, I ordered a Rib Eye steak rare, waiter goes "We cant make rare, it would be too bloody".

Me: Um ok, thats why its called rare.

Waiter: The cook wont make Rare.

Me: WTF, ok Med Rare.

Waiter: Ok, what sauce do you want on it?

Me: Sauce? Just salt and pepper, nothing else.

Waiter: But sauce comes on it.

Me: I dont want sauce on it!

Waiter: I dont think we can make it that way.

Me: Ok I am leaving, thanks!

Wow, is all I have to say, I didnt get a chance to try it, but if you cant make a steak to my liking why do you call yourself "Steak Expert"???

I would not recommend Steak Expert for expats, its more of a local phenom where they drown their steaks in sauces. I havent been yet, but have been thinking about Ruth Chris steak house.

Anyone have any opinion on them as compared to back in the states or am I looking at the same crap as steak not so expert?

If money is no object then go for Mortons. But it's $500+ per steak. Ruth's Chris is more or less the same price, but nothing like as nice an ambience IMO.

If money is a little bit of an issue then Wooloomooloo does pretty good (mainly Australian) steaks. The new location in Wanchai is very nice - floor to ceiling windows, great view, good service, bar on the roof for a cocktail beforehand if the weather's nice. Steaks about $350-450.

But the best deal in town that I'm aware of is the Orange Tree if you use the 2-for-1 Super Monday deal available via another expat website. Then you can get two rather good steaks for $295.

I wouldn't recommend Steak Expert to anyone. If the meat quality is poor to begin with, then you are not going to end up with a good steak.

Ruth Chris is totally different, but you are paying for it. Their steaks are high quality and will be cooked as you want them.

For somewhere in-between, although closer to the quality of Ruth Chris than the crap of Steak Expert, is La Pampa in Soho.

i dont think ruth's chris in hong kong is as good as the ones in the US. Hong kong restaurants love to undercook steaks. a US well done is like a medium in hong kong.

if you really want a local steak, go to Boston Restaurant in wan chai for the local flavors and ambiance.

Not to be cheap, but 5 Bills better be a very very good steak. That's about 60 to 70 dollars. House of Prime in San Francisco doesnt even cost that much.

Money to me is an issue and is not an issue. Just because I have it, doesnt mean I want to spend it. Yeah call me a tightwad, but there is a time and a place for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    Hong kong restaurants love to undercook steaks. a US well done is like a medium in hong kong.
    Eh? I think you meant the other way round.

And for most of the rest of the world, it is the US that is out of line. A European/RoW medium is what seems to be called rare in the US. In Europe the scale goes: Blue, rare, med-rare, medium, well-done, American.

(Although, perhaps as a joke on the tourists, an "Americaine" in Belgium is uncooked - and I had a very nice one indeed at Au Vieux Saint-Martin in the Place du Grand Sablon earlier this year.)

And, yes, La Pampa ain't bad either.
    Last edited by PDLM; 18-10-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Ruth Chris

Rate Ruth Chris's very highly but a little expensive. Servings are quite large so if you limit yourself to steak only you should be OK. If you caught having appetiser and their fresh bread with whipped butter you will struggle eating the steak.
    Always good to share appetisers,steak and desserts as you get to try everything and is much cheaper.
    Their special wine for the night is also generally good and cheap.

I would be prepared to bet $1000 that robare is a 50kg local.

The size of the steak is exactly what you order - I guess they have from about 6oz up to 32oz. Sharing anything less than about 16oz is just comical. And an appetizer (say some nice crab cakes or shrimps), bread, steak, potatoes, sides, and then a dessert is what a decent steak house is all about. With some good red (about a bottle each), a martini before you start (Morton's do that very well) and perhaps a digestif with the coffee.

But that's $2500/head at Morton's or Ruth's Chris, maybe $1500 at Wooloomooloo.

LOL, you're right. I've seen the locals spilt a chicken burger, fries, and a drink at BK.

I could eat a 16OZ steak on my own, man im hungry now. Back in the states, I would order from the butcher these 2/5 inch thick porterhouse steaks. Rub a little sea salt and frech black pepper on it, some extra virgin olive oil, then sear both sides on high, that locks the juices in, turn the flame down to med low and grill it for another 5 mins each side.

The steaks would be caramilized on both sides, and the insides woulds still be rare. Im leaving a pool of drool over the floor now. Dammit, got me thinking about steaks.

$2500 a head is a little steep for dinner though, thats almost a day's pay. I think I will wait till I head home...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I would be prepared to bet $1000 that robare is a 50kg local.

The size of the steak is exactly what you order - I guess they have from about 6oz up to 32oz. Sharing anything less than about 16oz is just comical. And an appetizer (say some nice crab cakes or shrimps), bread, steak, potatoes, sides, and then a dessert is what a decent steak house is all about. With some good red (about a bottle each), a martini before you start (Morton's do that very well) and perhaps a digestif with the coffee.

But that's $2500/head at Morton's or Ruth's Chris, maybe $1500 at Wooloomooloo.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast