Like Tree209Likes

Seriously good coffee

Closed Thread
Page 116 of 131 FirstFirst ... 108 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 124 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhobbes:
    Where do you guys buy your beans? I was buying Redback beans (and very happy with them), but after my routine changed Cyberport and Peel Street are just a pain to get to.

Anyone else have any recommendations for something in Wan Chai or CWB? Preferably something not too expensive....
    If you usually get Redback, you can try Cupping Room in Wanchai for roasted coffee, starting from HK$150/200g. The roaster is Sweet Bloom Coffee Roaster from Colorado. The bean should be fresh enough, mostly 1 week post roast.

The Cupping Room Wan Chai
    https://www.facebook.com/Cuppingroomwanchai
    32 Swatow Street, Wan Chai, Tel: 2371 2338

Not quite Causeway Bay but further to Happy Valley, you can get the renowned Intelligentsia of Chicago at Cucus, the coffee is around 1 week old post roast or fresher, depending on how you coordinate with the shop. Some might say it's quite pricey at HK$300/12 oz but quite a few of locally roasted coffee can be had for more $$$ than this. Plus it's a hassle to contact Intelli direct in the US for retail purchase which could end up in similar pricing or more.

Cucus
    https://www.facebook.com/cucushk
    8 Cheong Ming Street, Happy Valley. Tel: 28127223

Locally roasted coffee you can get 18 Grams at City Super in Time Squares or its own shop near Fook Lam Moon in Admiralty/Wan Chai. Pricing should be around the Cupping Room level or slightly less expensive. 18 Grams started out by Aussies and, to me, it maintains that style well since its start; it should be similar to Redback. Or you can try Coco Espresso which locates quite close to Three Pacific Place in Admiralty/Wan Chai area. The roaster at Coco went to Sydney, Australia to learn about coffee back in early 2000 and is among one of the pioneers for indy cafes in HK since 2007, I think.
    shri and Rob2020 like this.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I used to enjoy this thread over the years especially the advice from boblam07 and others; would be nice if it were reactivated. Much more nuanced than the apps which purportedly give advice on coffee shops.

Any advice on high quality coffee shops that are also comfortable places to chill - i.e. not noisy and crowded. Any area is fine. Kind of annoying to pay over $50 for a (too weak) cappuccino and be jammed like rats into a tiny space with 50 people sitting elbow to elbow (e.g. Fuel).

Also, where do you think the best place is for a cappuccino. Most cappuccinos here taste too weak and milky for my preference. Fuel is actually very nice with an extra shot added, although then it's over $60..

Mrs. Jones likes this.

I can't help you in the cappuccino department, but I Central Coffee (in Central) is my go-to if I want space. It's a basement shop, and there are plenty of seats. I've always gotten a seat (and a seat with no one else around me) with no problems when I've gone there.

You might also try Sensory Zero in Wong Chuk Hang. Quite spacious as well.

Fortunately, the coffee scene in Hong Kong has improved so dramatically in the past few years that great coffee can be found nearly everywhere. Just look at Arabica (now in IFC and StarFerry (KL-side)). They had one sleepy shop in DB for years and now they're up to something like 30 stores in 25 countries!

At this point, the quality is so high that you'll just have to shop around, sample all over the place and see what suits your taste best.

1. Toast box
    2. Black coffee w/o sugar at a local cha chan teng

Kowloon Goon likes this.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Deconstructed coffee anyone?
    2016?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    2016?

The 2018 Australian hipsters drink coffee out of goblets at AU$150 per glass

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-goblets.html