Like Tree192Likes

Seriously good coffee

Page 125 of 129 FirstFirst ... 117 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Much prefer a Flat white in Macdonald's to Starbucks, Pacific coffee etc. I would prefer proper 'artisan' coffee shops but for the price and convenience McDonald's is great. Really annoying that you don't get McCafe in UK McDonald's.

I had a young lad in McDonald's Sheung Wan do me the most perfect Coffee Art on my flat white once. He was definitely wasted working in Macdonald's.
    True. I also get a Flat White once in a week, and I can say that McCafe at HKUST made a near perfect one - way better than Starbucks. Moreover, the barista was super attentive and always asked if I had liked it / what to improve / etc. I always wondered why with such coffee-making skills he works at McDonald's and not at the fancy nerdy cafe like Little Cove etc.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You have the option of asking them to make it warm, hot or extra hot, even on the app.

I'm sure some coffee lovers will die a little bit inside after reading about starbucks and mcdonalds on this holy grail of coffee threads.
    I know that sounds obvious but I’ve never even thought of asking, but does hot mean hot with a bit of cold water added, that’s not the answer for me?

Have done some experimental roasting, and currently get single origin beans from an enthusiastic professional roaster. But can also be satisfied with cans from vending machines. Edit: can't drink UCC cans though, that stuff is nasty.

I've experienced too many substandard coffees from dedicated coffee places to look down at the idea of McDonald's. I can remember the three worst coffees I've had in the past year- Pacific Coffee, a stall in Fortress Hill that was just big enough for a fancy machine, and Coffee Academics. The last was definitely the worst.

Last edited by jgl; 22-06-2022 at 03:30 PM.
    Grinnie Jax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I know that sounds obvious but I’ve never even thought of asking, but does hot mean hot with a bit of cold water added, that’s not the answer for me?
    No it is not a bit of cold water added... Ask them. I have found Starbucks employees extremely well trained in dealing with customers. Where I used to work, I had my usual coffee made to spec even before I reached the till.
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Have done some experimental roasting, and currently get single origin beans from an enthusiastic professional roaster. But can also be satisfied with cans from vending machines.

I've experienced too many substandard coffees from dedicated coffee places to look down at the idea of McDonald's. I can remember the three worst coffees I've had in the past year- Pacific Coffee, a stall in Fortress Hill that was just big enough for a fancy machine, and Coffee Academics. The last was definitely the worst.
    Yeah, Pacific Coffee and Coffee Academics are very unpredictable. Some branches make coffee worse than McDonalds (not even McCafe!), but another branch can be much better. And it also depends on barista, his/her mood etc.

I also regret that there is no Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Hong Kong. It had been my go to choice in Singapore - good consistent coffee and many branches.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    Coffee Academics are very unpredictable. Some branches make coffee worse than McDonalds (not even McCafe!), but another branch can be much better. And it also depends on barista, his/her mood etc.
    The incident that I am recalling was down to them totally messing up the grind size on their fancy grinder so every shot they'd pulled before mine must have tasted massively underextracted. It was like sucking on a lemon, only without the taste of actual fruit.

This was mid-morning so they're just have been at least a modest stream of customers who'd had their drinks and not said anything.

This was at one of the bigger branches that I've even heard people compliment. They've been fine other times, but it was surprising that it was that messed up for an entire morning.

I'm originally from a coffee snob city. This would never have happened back home- baristas would have not let it slip, and if they had, the first customer would have said something.
    Grinnie Jax likes this.

BTW how does one define "Seriously Good Coffee"

However one wants?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    This was at one of the bigger branches that I've even heard people compliment. They've been fine other times, but it was surprising that it was that messed up for an entire morning.

I'm originally from a coffee snob city. This would never have happened back home- baristas would have not let it slip, and if they had, the first customer would have said something.
    It depends on the self-confidence. Some nations are more likely to tell when they aren't satisfied, but HKres are generally more closed in that sense. But, in fact, telling the truth is good for barista - so he can improve next time.

P.S. Oh, how many times I complained on cappuccino at 7-eleven poor girls had to re-do it several times. But I just can't drink empty milk or coffee machine flushing.

Agreed, McCafe americanos are quite nice and it's open very early. Some of the fancy artisan places often open later than advertised or are understaffed in the morning with staff waltzing in late.

Last edited by Dominic; 22-06-2022 at 10:55 PM.
    Grinnie Jax likes this.