Like Tree193Likes

Seriously good coffee

[QUOTE=Grinnie Jax;3874399 than average HK premium cafe, and it costs only $11HK for a cup of "fair trade" coffee. In bloody dictatorship! Why on Earth HK coffee scene is so weak and inflated?[/QUOTE]

High rent prices. Very little of the price you pay for a cup of coffee is the beans. I doubt it's more than HK$1-2. Milk is expensive but most real coffee nuts don't add milk I think.

Since I moved out of HK and now have a proper sized kitchen, have experimented a lot with coffee - hand grind vs machine grind, drip, continuous pour etc.... I basically think it's all bollocks and the only things that matter are how recently the beans were roasted, and how recently & well they were ground. The rest is just frippery.

Couple of months ago, I randomly walked into the the Cova cake shop in the Prince's Building for a takeaway cappuccino. It was good enough that I walked back in to compliment them.

Rob2020 likes this.

Have you tried Coffelin? They're not exactly my cup of tea (well, coffee) but if you're looking for a place that doesn't ask you whether you want a nutty or fruity blend and pumps out a dark roast by default, I find them an interesting player in the local coffee scene. There's like 3 or so branches around Hong Kong Island - Google can help you with that

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'd be interested to read if others have found % chain to be any good. It strikes me very strongly as another style over substance brand. Only tried it once myself, it was the branch that opened to capitalise on a massively popular Instagram spot, and the fashionably dressed barista was sufficiently inexperienced that he could not confidently hold a coffee cup. Coffee was not good. That branch had been operating at least six months before I visited.

A friend visited the IFC location also reported bad coffee.

So I'm wondering if we were both just unlucky, or if it really is a fashion victim cafe. Because it sure looks like one from the branding.
    Just tried this % place again, as this thread made me curious.

Had their house blend cappuccino, which turned out to be pretty well made. I didn't really like the blend- too much on the light side, but that is just down to personal preference.

Looks delicious. Which coffee shop is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    Grinnie Jax,
    Grinnie Jax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic:
    Grinnie Jax,
    It's McCafe

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    It's McCafe
    ha ha ok ok I’d said I’d promise to do a comparison to Bux. I hereby undertake to perform that over the weekend and report back. Not McD, McC received loud and clear.

I got a shock that a Fuel coffee is now $57! Admittedly it is very good, but not $57 good!?

Rob2020 likes this.

In Australia, with inflation soaring, mortages rates rising, etc, people cutting back on everything they can. So the coffee wars now are between Coles Express and 7-Eleven, both offer $1 coffees (HK$5.4) that are quite alright. Combined they have around 2000 locations around Australia so they are everywhere.

Australia is home of McCafe (they sell something called an Australiano here now), but is not cheap, around $3-$5 I think. Also Hungry Jacks here (you guys will know better as Burger King) have launched "Jacks cafe" recently which has now just rolled out to hundreds of stores, again not a cheap option and compares to McCafe. Its Coles or 7-Eleven if you are on a budget.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fo...671b7122ac8e1d