Like Tree209Likes

Seriously good coffee

Closed Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    Hm, where have you tried? Because my feelings were reverse - strongly sour, very dense. Maybe even too sour for some.
    Quarry Bay.

I would guess that McCafe would have a lot of variability across whoever is working at the time, and whatever branch, I doubt they really aim for a consistent coffee experience!

It was not terrible, but it also isn't something I will ever pay HK$16 again. The $8 Mr Brown vending machine coffee flavoured beverages are preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    I wish we had Coles coffee here, as an option. Since wide adoption of Coles products at U-Select, 80% of my shopping bag are Coles products to support Australia + they are pretty good, remind me of the products at home.
    Well they have coles beans, not a fan, bit too dark roasted like burnt Starbucks does it.

This thread had gone off the rails though:

"seriously mediocre and cheap coffee"

After a pause on my home delivered fresh beans in back on, there have been a few decent ones at fusion and marketplace, one from new Zealand $88/224g and some single origin roasted in HK (point something?) $81/224g (on Sale?) but the supply is too inconsistent and in the end cost about the same as the better, fresher delivery beans .

Quote Originally Posted by PhilE:
    I always take Illy as a good sign - great, smooth Italian espresso coffee that makes for a good latte too. There's a cafe up near Star St with an Illy sign outside (same road as the Pizza Express). Will let you know when we finally get round to trying it. I think Oliver's Cafe opposite the HSBC building on QRC does Illy too.

I find Starbucks, Pacific and Pret as bad as each other. Wish Cafe Nero would open up over here. Also tried a Cova the other day (the one with the posh chocs and cakes). No better.

P.S. Why not get an espresso machine as well? I thought it was a gimmick when I was given one for Christmas a couple of years ago. Use it 5+ times a week now and it makes up for the Pacific stuff I drink when at work. Your choice of beans and you can make the milk froth as fine as you like (with a bit of practice). Airport security think we're a bit strange when we come in carrying 8 tins of coffee tho
    Pizza Express actually has a decent americano with nice side biscuit last time I was there.

https://mcdonalds.com.au/menu/iced-australiano

Oh FFS, Coffee and 'Chai'?

This Australiano sounds like an iced Yin Yang, the drink that can be found in every char chang teng in Hong Kong.
    boblam07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Just tried McCafe, black no sugar. It reminded me of generic percolator coffee. Slightly sour, slightly watery.

Probably was generic percolator coffee. Was it made with the espresso machine? McCafe coffee in UK is just bog standard filter coffee. Its the Espresso machine made coffee which is 'OK' in Hong Kong. Espresso or Flat White are the best options. At 25HKD the flat white is a bargain.

I mentioned before, will mention again. LCC roaster on Lantau is a very passionate guy who has sources some truly unique coffees, with different fermentation methods...I actually don't really care about that, but I've had some coffee that was unlike anything I'd ever had before. And actually I regularly drink decaf and he sources a good one.

He has some coffee tasting events in Mui Wo, if you're looking for a day out.

https://m.facebook.com/lccroastery/

Oh and I'm a fan of the McDonald's coffee... When I've got 2 mins to grab coffee and go, it's a pretty smooth one! They've done quite a job at raising the bar somehow. Had a bad coffee academics one recently (not that I ever go there)... And there's one Cafe that makes an expensive coffee that I cannot even drink, but I won't name and shame.

Grinnie Jax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by boblam07:
    1. %arabica which seems to be everywhere in Asia. https://arabicacoffee.hk/
    2. Omotesando Lee Tung Avenue

The coffee should be on a darker side and the ambience are nice if you don't mind paying $$$. Of the two, I prefer Omotesando but it's not on my list if I want to go out for coffee, FYI
    Totally forgot a shop called Fine Print which run by coffee people with Aussie root as I hadn't been to the shop for quite some time.

https://www.instagram.com/fineprint.hk/?hl=en

Failed in the weekend mission. So McCafé still on the list to do.

Quote Originally Posted by boblam07:
    Totally forgot a shop called Fine Print which run by coffee people with Aussie root as I hadn't been to the shop for quite some time.

https://www.instagram.com/fineprint.hk/?hl=en
    Boblam07, many thanks for the detailed perspectives and recommendations. Will try all of these places. Revisiting Sheung Wan McCafe is also on my list too.
    boblam07 likes this.