Like Tree209Likes

Seriously good coffee

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

hey Phil,

tend to agree in regards to getting your own machine. had a machine in Oz, just a cheapy, but made good coffee with nice crema, so long as you used nice beans...

since moving to HK however, I have invested in a middle of the range Krups - not one that does stuff like grind etc, just a simple machine with a nice heavy copper brewing head (a must!). however, even with the beans from "home" brought in as you do, the coffee was... mediocre... until I started having short blacks again, then realised it was the ruddy milk stuffing my coffee up.

serious, i think that as milk makes up 60% of your drink, if it is pretty yuck to start with, then frothy/steamed "pretty yuck" milk, though an improvement, is not much better. and burnt "pretty yuck" milk, is damn near horrendous

just my shots worth...

hey DDF,

I ended up with a Dualit which seems ok quality - separate grinder like you probably have. The coffee does suffer (e.g. goes a bit bitter) if it gets too much air and/or is too old, but generally works out well. Don't drink so many espressos these days though...

...we use Masters milk (the dark blue cartons) and whilst a bit creamy and not as fresh tasting as UK milk, its OK. I microwave it for about a minute then give it a 'froth', scoop off the fine foam onto the espressos and then give it another froth and scoop again before pouring in the warm milk to make a decent latte. Probably sounds like a lot of hassle to the non-baristas out there but after a while it becomes habit and you get to make a cup you like.

I admit milk is a big factor and we haven't found anything fresh tasting here. However, even in the UK I could never match 'Apostrophe' cafes in London. Anyone ever try their coffee!? The milk froth was about an inch deep and like double cream. Sandwiches weren't half bad either!

Well if you are dead serious about coffee you can go for single origin coffees(now thats real coffee). A company called Cafe Ligeos (may not be the exact spelling) sells around 8 different origins and they would give you a coffee machine too I believe. Gotta try the true Blue Mountain!!

We finally made it to the Illy place near Star Street (Wing Fung St). Had a double-shot Macchiato and a standard Latte. Excellent with very fine smooth foam and good (not bitter) coffee. Sandwiches with fresh rye bread were nice too and there's room to chill out, read a paper, listen to their library of CDs etc. Free wireless too I think. Prices similar to Starbucks - smaller coffees but you do get a free choc.

Their business card lists another Illy bar in 1st Floor, LKF Tower if you don't fancy the trek out to Star St.

Ooh, thanks for the review !

Been to the Illy near LKF(actually LKF tower).Had a nice lunch & great Coffee

I tried to go to the Illy in LKF this weekend - be warned, it's not open on Sunday and is only open 12-2 Saturday. Pretty darned weird opening hours for a cafe if you ask me.

I'm not sure of the hours of the one near Star St - but it was open Sat and Sun for lunch (call us boring but when you find something you like... ).

Interesting thread! I have some of the aforementioned fair trade kind...available at my local Park 'n' Shop, would you believe. I use a cafetiere myself. If you're looking for something exotic, try E-Bay. I used to buy Jablum...Blue Mountain shipped out of Jamaica! Takes a while but it's a nice flavor.

Anyone ever tried one of the San Francisco coffee places? They have free wifi at the one in Wanchai...been meaning to check it out.

Smile

In Hong Kong side, try Cafe Zambra in wanchai (jaffe road). Nice place, very good espresso based beverage and food. One of the best coffee place in Hong Kong.

In Kowloon side, try Crema Coffee in TST East near Regal Kowloon Hotel. They have a small coffee roaster inside the shop. Very fresh coffee. I had espresso and it was nice. They also offer free wi-fi.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast