Shanghai - Hong Kong and a Visa question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Shanghai - Hong Kong and a Visa question

A friend of mine is coming over from Germany next week... He got a damn cheap flight - but it's only going to Shanghai... :-(

1.st question: Is it possible to get a visa on arrival in Shanghai as you can do at the Shenzhen border?

2.nd question: I was really not aware of the fact that there a basically no cheap flights from Shanghai to HK and vice versa. The cheapest fare I could find was 360US$ for a return flight....
    I found this great offer on the Zuji website.
    SO are there any discounted tickets available for a flight from SHA to HK??

How about the alternative to fly to Shenzhen or Macao?? The cheapest tickets for this option (to Shenzhen) cost about 1400 RMB.

Thanks a million for your support.

1. In general, no. And the airline carrying him would normally refuse to let him board if he doesn't have a visa.

2. No. Flying to Shenzhen is the cheap alternative.

I'm sure that if your friend simply wanted to go Germany to HK that's what he should have done - Cathay has flights from Frankfurt at around Euro 455 + taxes. http://www.cathaypacific.com/de/booking/onlinefares/
    I don't see how he could save a significant amount by this trip to Shanghai and it is a lot of hassle with visas, multiple flights, hours in immigration, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    1. In general, no. And the airline carrying him would normally refuse to let him board if he doesn't have a visa.

2. No. Flying to Shenzhen is the cheap alternative.

I'm sure that if your friend simply wanted to go Germany to HK that's what he should have done - Cathay has flights from Frankfurt at around Euro 455 + taxes. http://www.cathaypacific.com/de/booking/onlinefares/
    I don't see how he could save a significant amount by this trip to Shanghai and it is a lot of hassle with visas, multiple flights, hours in immigration, etc.
    PDLM, thanks for your reply!
    He pays around 2500 HK$ for the flight - including ALL taxes.
    Quite cheap though....

But you scare me when saying that it is not possible to get the visa when arriving in SHA!!! Really no chance???????? :-((( I do hope there is a way!! As I said, you can get one at the Shenzhen border....

He won't even be allowed to get on the plane. He can easily confirm that by calling the airline.

He won't even be allowed to get on the plane. He can easily confirm that by calling the airline.
    No no no... that's not true!! German carrier Lufthansa does not care at all if their passengers have a visa or not.... Once I did fly with them to Bejing, but nobody in Germany ever checked if I have a visa (I had one though!). It is the same when flying to Moscow / Russia.... The airlines assume that people know the visa rules.

However, you still didn't answer my question properly: Will it be possible to get a visa when arriving in SHA???

No No No No

I'd like to say:

No no no Yes!

Why doesn't your friend apply for a visa before he's going to China? If not possible he could always try to go to China without a visa.

I've been to China a few times without a visa and applied for a visa on the mainland before immigration. Of course, this isn't the ideal way - but still is possible.

No No No No

Quote Originally Posted by gdawe5
    I'd like to say:

No no no Yes!

Why doesn't your friend apply for a visa before he's going to China? If not possible he could always try to go to China without a visa.

I've been to China a few times without a visa and applied for a visa on the mainland before immigration. Of course, this isn't the ideal way - but still is possible.
    That sounds much better! :-)
    He booked only yesterday and will leave Germany Tuesday morning... so not really time to go to the embassy before departure.
    I do understand that it is not the ideal way to apply for the visa at the airport, but no other chance this time....

So you also think that it's possible to do so at the Shanghai airport, right?!

By the way, he is not leaving the airport at all, but must reclaim his baggage in order to check in for the connection flight to HK / Shenzhen.
    Therefore he has to go through the customs.

Ah - that's different - in principle you don't actually need a visa for that (next available flight, don't leave the airport). But I believe there is a lot of bureaucracy involved. How long does he have to make the connection?

Ah - that's different - in principle you don't actually need a visa for that (next available flight, don't leave the airport). But I believe there is a lot of bureaucracy involved. How long does he have to make the connection?
    Well, he will certainly have 3 hours or so... How about flying to Macao?? I mean if he flys to Shenzhen, then he certainly needs at least here a visa.... or how does it work when he would take the bus straight away to Hong Kong?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast