Like Tree1Likes

Best route HK to Kaiping

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best route HK to Kaiping

Hi

Can anyone advise on the best way, time and moneywise to get to Kaiping from HK? We're going to see the UNESCO "diao lou" (watchtowers). There was a previous thread in 2005 but, that's probably not relevant anymore...

Thanks.

I would guess the ferry from Kowloon, it's direct to the city. Ask for Hoi Ping (Canto pronunciation).

Well, the ferry only takes you to Zhongshan, and then the journey continues on by bus. I'd recommend taking the direct bus from Prince Edward (or one of the other stops) to Kaiping via Shenzhen Bay crossing. The four hours are a pretty good estimate, but we once got delayed for two hours due to traffic on Christmas day.
    On holidays, they seem to run additional buses as well.
    There are two stops in Kaiping, make sure to get off at the second one.

Not true, a ferry goes to Sanbu Port, which is part of Kaiping city.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I thought I read somewhere that that direct ferry to Sanbu is now no longer available.

I'm thinking of splitting up the journey with boat + bus, because 4 hours on a Chinese bus doesn't sound as fun as I think it is. If we do the boat + bus option, is it best to take the hydrofoil to Zhuhai and then bus from there? That would minimize getting seasick on the 'slower' boats?

Does China Travel Service offer transport to Kaiping?

Actually, the bus ride isn't too bad... it's a Hong Kong bus with a Hong Kong driver, so not a lot of honking ;-)

And, no, the ferry does not seem to go directly to Sanbu any more; just check the CKS Website; you can go with them, but it says "Transport by Land & Sea".... unless there's some other ferry I don't know of....

how do you get around to see the towers once you are in Kai ping?

you can catch a ferry to Doumen then a Cab for $4-500 bucks.

I found out from CTS (China Travel Service) that there IS a direct boat service that goes to Kaiping/Taishan (that's what it says on the ticket) for $180 which we will take. There's only 1 morning sailing at 8:30 from China Ferry Terminal in TST. I think the afternoon one is 4:30pm. Journey takes about 4 hours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting... please let us know how it worked out. If there's indeed a ferry, it would be a good option.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast