Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam Safety & Suggestions

Closed Thread

Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam Safety & Suggestions

Hello,

I’m planning an excursion around Southeast Asia after I finish my time here in HK (I’m here for the summer completing an internship). Right now, I am exploring the possibility of starting in Thailand (Full Moon festival) and finding my way to Cambodia and Vietnam before I catch a flight back to the States (via HK). I have roughly two weeks total, and my flight plans are completely flexible, as I am flying standby.

Question is, I am a 20 yr old female and will be going solo. Is this a good idea? I’m also considering Laos and Myanmar, and would change my plans if they appear to be more stable, secure, and western friendly places to go.

Any suggestions on safety, favorite countries/places to visit, etc, would be most appreciated! Thanks!

I can say something about 2 of these countries :

Cambodia --- U can go without a thought .. Siam Reap is awesome !
    Myanmar --- If u are willing to take a risk. Our company has the biggest setup
    there for our shipping division and each time a guy from India goes
    there on deputation, we need to force him to take the flight out \

>> a guy from India

is not

>> a 20 yr old female

...except in a chat room

hahaa thats why i said .. Avoid Myanmar

Cambodia

Here’s the twenty something gal who went to Cambodia (Siem Reap) months ago solely You can experience the historical and relaxing atmosphere from the temples, spa and pubs. That’s a friendly and safe city. However, no matter how safe it is, remember to save the police station and embassy numbers in your moby, just in case. Just pm me if you need the Siem Reap’s info, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    >> a guy from India

is not

>> a 20 yr old female

Cambodia and Laos are two countries I totally wanna check out. Anyone been up to Vientiane? I'm hoping to get out there soon, finances permitting.

Been to Yangoon. I have friends over there so I really can't say how difficult to get around if I don't know anyone. I think it's okay because simple english is fine with taxi drivers. People there are very nice and simple. Check out Bagan..and more if you have time. Of course, check out every information before you leave is crucial.

done all the those places.

favs were laos and myanmar. they're particularly rewarding as they are less touristy than thailand and vietnam.

both are what people have described as how thailand was 2 decades ago. songkran, the buddhist new year/water festival in burma were some of the most memorable days i've had.

although nowhere in the world is particularly safe for a lone female traveller, you should be fine as violent crime in SE asia is far lower than in the west. also, you'll end up travelling or meeting with many like-minded travellers on the way.

i can make some recommendations but there's just too much to write.

if you have any specific questions, i'll do my best to help.

p.s. don;t leave out malaysia either...a truely wonderful country too!!!

oh and some places in china away from the crap of shenzhen/guanzhou are truely as amazing as SE asia...

doh...too many places and too little time!!!

Last edited by thetokyoproject; 29-06-2006 at 01:55 AM.