Cathay Pacific bringing 50Mbps WiFi, live TV and in-flight calling to fleet

Closed Thread

Cathay Pacific bringing 50Mbps WiFi, live TV and in-flight calling to fleet

Cathay Pacific Airways and Panasonic Avionics Corporation today announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for the provision of full broadband connectivity on all Cathay Pacific and Dragonair passenger aircraft.

While final terms are still being negotiated, the MOU allows the parties to immediately begin developing the plan to provide connectivity for passengers together with promotional, sponsorship and e-commerce opportunities for Cathay Pacific partner brands.
    Cathay Pacific is the first airline in Asia to announce its intention to deploy Panasonic Avionics’ Global Communications Suite broadband connectivity solution. It is also the first airline globally to announce an intention to provide the solution across its full fleet. Services will launch from early 2012, subject to regulatory approval.

The Panasonic Avionics connectivity solution for Cathay Pacific will comprise the eXConnect broadband service, eXPhone GSM phone service, and a CX-branded free-of-charge entertainment portal - accessible through all passenger devices and seatback screens - that will include a range of content updated during the flight, access to airline and partner sites, e-commerce, airline-specific advertising, and live television with a unique pay-per-view capability for special events.

• eXConnect provides two-way broadband connectivity supporting a wide range of passenger and crew applications, including Internet access, voice, data, and the ability to monitor and transmit airline operational data in real time at speeds of up to 50 Mbps to the aircraft.

• eXPhone, offered in collaboration with AeroMobile’s GSM mobile phone technology, allows passengers to use their mobile phones, smart phones and BlackBerry® devices onboard to make voice calls, send SMS text messages or utilise data services and stream content wirelessly to their iPod®, iPhone® and iPad®. eXPhone gives the airline flexibility and full control over the services offered including restricting certain services when appropriate.

Alex McGowan, Head of Product for Cathay Pacific, said: “Connectivity will form an important part of our overall customer proposition. Having that connectivity integrated closely with our video on demand entertainment system is especially valuable as it means that all passengers will be able to use the service. We believe that being connected is now an expected part of everyday life – not just for business purposes but also to stay in touch with family and friends. This system will allow passengers to be as ‘in touch’ as they wish to be while enjoying the great Cathay Pacific and Dragonair service.”

Charles Ogilvie, Executive Director of China for Panasonic Avionics Corporation, said: “We are very proud and thrilled to be working with Cathay Pacific. We are committed to serving the needs of the ever-growing markets in China and Asia. With Panasonic Avionics’ Global Communications Services, Cathay Pacific will be the first airline in Asia to offer passengers the most innovative inflight entertainment and communication options onboard commercial aircraft.”

but, how much will it cost to use? that is the main question.

Can't think of anything worse than being on a long haul flight and having phones beeping, buzzing and ringing the whole time...

Hopefully sufficient that very few people will use it. Can you imagine anything worse than being stuck on a flight to New York next to someone who won't get off the phone?

It would be ideal if it's locked down to data and SMS traffic and no voice communication allowed. But with internet services like skype, I dont see how thats possible.

On another note, Cathay announced yesterday a new service to Tokyo Haneda airport. This has me more excited as I really hate how far away Narita is from Tokyo (even though there is a new bullet train from Narita to Tokyo starting this month as well).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Hopefully sufficient that very few people will use it. Can you imagine anything worse than being stuck on a flight to New York next to someone who won't get off the phone?
    Especially if they are like the people on the MTR screaming down the phone. I think I might jump out.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:

On another note, Cathay announced yesterday a new service to Tokyo Haneda airport. This has me more excited as I really hate how far away Narita is from Tokyo (even though there is a new bullet train from Narita to Tokyo starting this month as well).
    I hated it too, passionately. Sadly the new train won't really do much for journey times, unless you catch it from Ueno which isn't that convenient for most visitors or Tokyo residents.

Additionally there are mostly only 2 or 3 services an hour so you can easily end up waiting 20 minutes or more. For most, the limo bus will be as quick as it drops you directly at hotels throughout central Tokyo, without the hassle and cost of getting a taxi from Ueno station to your hotel.

Yosoko Japan! The sooner Haneda succeeds Narita the better for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Especially if they are like the people on the MTR screaming down the phone. I think I might jump out.
    “Wei? Can you hear me?”

“Wei? Wei? Wei?”

“WEI?!?! WEI?!?! WEI?!?! WEI?!?! WEI?!?!”