Like Tree11Likes

North Korea Have You Been Yet?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    While I personally think it is too high risk to venture there given the problems, I am not sure of Freetrader's logic. FreeTrader has no trouble propping up the PRC which he dislikes so how is that different from being a tourist there? Not sure a comeback that says HKSAR is not the PRC will be really be valid as this is China like it or not.

I do believe that the more trade and exchanges the better the understanding so in principle I have no issue with this.

Having said all that I must admit that in 1968 I drove from Portland Oregon to Costa Rica over a 6 month period and right through Guatemala Civil War which when I was there had death lists, bombings and killings as the left and right were in battle. At nights you had to drive with the interior light on in your car. My 2 door 1960 Ford Galaxy didn't allow that so we had to put two flashlights in the crack between the driver and passenger's seat and keep them on at night. I know we weren't overly worried as maybe we should have been.
    I am not in favor of propping up the PRC (ask Skyhook). However, there is a difference between a bad government that is doing increasingly better and an absolutely insane country that is basically a private prison. If I buy a mobile phone made by Foxconn, I know that some portion of the amount paid actually found its way into the pocket of some Chinese workers. Despite what Gilly says, nothing spent on or in DPRK will benefit the typical person, even indirectly.

I do like your Costa Rica story (sounds a bit like Jack Kerouac). Barbara Tuchman postulated that their is an inverse relationship between one's proximity to a disaster and the amount of perceived destruction. I was in San Francisco for the '89 earthquake; the situation in no way resembled what you saw on TV: anyone watching the tube would have had the impression that the whole city had been destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Sabrina has already posted her travel agency link on our other expat forum, strangely and completely coincidentally right after joining, just like here...
    Yeah, I thought it might be something like that. It was just too random. "Hey, let's go to North Korea!..."

So in your little evil handbook, does it say which country we are OK to visit? How about Iran? Cuba? Saudi? Myanmar, Sudan or Syria ? Your country seem to be confused about that to...They give money to Hussein then they change their mind, same with Bin Laden, same with the Taliban, same with Noriega... Yet there's still an embargo on Cuba. Obama probably could use your evil handbook...

Do tell us... Have you been to NK, Cuba, Myanmar, Sudan, Syria or Iran? I've been to five out of those six and my experience couldn't be more positive. Please do explain to us how isolation and boycottings of country have in any way been useful...

Last edited by gilleshk; 23-07-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    physdude1 likes this.

i would love to go to saudi, syria and iran... EXCEPT for the fact that i am a woman. i do not agree with their "interpretation" of the koran and their subjugation of women...however, if they were a little more tolerant (ie. egypt) i would go in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i would love to go to saudi, syria and iran... EXCEPT for the fact that i am a woman. i do not agree with their "interpretation" of the koran and their subjugation of women...however, if they were a little more tolerant (ie. egypt) i would go in a heartbeat.
    I have been to Riyadh and trust me its not fun for us men either...

There are plenty of things I don't agree with...The question is whether you can have any effect at all by not going versus going.

The way I see it, is that even if you only have one conversation with someone over there and they get to see a different point of view, you've accomplished more than by ignoring it and asa bonus, you get to make your own mind about what things are like as opposed to be a hostage of the media who will almost invariably focus on the worst because that's what sells...

Someone correct me, does Saudi even provide a tourist visa, except ofcourse the Haj visa...?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I have been to Riyadh and trust me its not fun for us men either...
    Why? Because you can't drink and meet women? I think Saudi is a fascinating place. I wouldn't want to live there all the time but I'd be happy to visit anytime.

For many countries including Saudi, Iran and Sudan, you usually need a sponsor.

yeah, but as a woman AND an infidel, i don't think that my opinions on the matter would have ANY influence whatsoever.

as for NK... i saw a documentary on tv about a month ago about life in NK... personally i found it scary. Kim Jong Il is insane and i do NOT want to "help" him in any way, shape or form.

China IS different. IF i was old enough during the cultural revolution, you can bet my stance would have been the same, do NOT support the "regime". they are starting to open up... by going there, and spending my money, hopefully it helps. UNTIL that happens in NK, you can be sure i won't spend my money there.

Last edited by carang; 23-07-2010 at 04:48 PM.