Like Tree13Likes

British Passport renewal

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SellerB:
    we got our new passport in 10 days (inc. weekend) just this week after applying in person.

Thats good to know - mines getting full and I was told it takes 4 weeks to get renewed!

That's what they are telling people now.
    Had a mate flew in from KL. He's called the 'Helpline' for which he not only had to pay a high rate call center number but he also had to give his credit card details so he could be billed for 'advice'. So he flies in to get a new passport for his daughter - having being told a rush job could be done in 4 - 5 days. All forms etc OK.
    Goes to the consulate, is treated he says with near contempt - and was told it would take 4 weeks (now HK Consulate has to do the passports for all the places in Asia now that can't issue UK Passports).
    Awful service - so if any drone from the Consulate is reading - sort your shit out.

let's say if someone gets UK citizenship / naturalisation whilst being in hong kong, where would their passport be issued from?. HK or UK?.
    thanks much..

Assuming they are legally resident in Hong Kong, then Hong Kong.

m4nn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Welcome to the world of New Labour - hopefully the new government will reverse this sort of nonsense very soon.
    Sadly not. I'm applying for a new passport now, and not only is the price double what they cost in the UK, but they only accept credit cards (I don't have one) or banker's drafts (which I assume is going to cost me even more). I can't call the helpline because no credit card. What utter shit.

Really? They accepted EPS last time I had any dealings with the British Consulate, but it was a while ago...

EDIT - I see from the website that what you say is so. However, they do also claim to be able to process Visa debit cards, and I thought you had one of those.
    http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/he...g-kong#payfees

But in any case, yes, the whole Consulate experience has gone rapidly downhill over the last decade.

Last edited by PDLM; 14-12-2010 at 08:25 AM.

This thread would seem to indicate that British passport holders should renew anytime they go to the UK even if there is a bit of time left on the passport holders. . .yes?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    This thread would seem to indicate that British passport holders should renew anytime they go to the UK even if there is a bit of time left on the passport holders. . .yes?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It is cheaper to get a passport in the UK (GBP77.50 + GBP8 Post Office fee) as opposed to HK$1600 in Hong Kong. However, service in the UK can take 3 weeks ("not guaranteed"), so you would need quite a long holiday or else pay for the one week fast service (GBP112.50) - which is getting similar to the HK fee.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Based on and according to the fee structure it seems so yes. Its cheaper to do a one day rush service in the UK than it is to apply for a passport in HK.

Table of passport fees, how to pay and refunds : Directgov - Travel and transport

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    EDIT - I see from the website that what you say is so. However, they do also claim to be able to process Visa debit cards, and I thought you had one of those.
    Yes I do, but if you download the authorization form, it plainly states "we don't accept debit cards" so I wouldn't risk it.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast