Traveling ideas?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MotoHK
    I've always wanted to go to 'nam. Check out Saigon. Search for Pol Pot. Khemer Rouge places etc. Frightening stuff but part of world history.
    Isn't this level of ignorance really saddening, particularly from someone who once took pride in being an "Asian1"?

Halong Bay, up near Hanoi has amazing scenery, you can stay overnight on a boat on the bay and it's worth it. Very peaceful and relaxing.

I've stayed at the Furama on Da Nang beach and liked it so much went back the next year. The town is very quiet but you can rent a taxi all day for USD25 (well you could back then). Probably would not spend 5 nights there but things may have changed.

when you guys say "touristy" and "tourist trap" .. thats what we are trying to avoid...

what are some places off the beaten track...less touristy but a great lil spot..again..we are quite boring.....dont really drink or party...we just like to relax and take in local culture and nature through photography

Quote Originally Posted by mattstewart
    when you guys say "touristy" and "tourist trap" .. thats what we are trying to avoid...
    pretty near impossible to avoid if you don;t know the country and only have 5 days.

just chill and relax with the rest of the tourists. you sound like you wanna do everything in no time.

...overly-touristy usually means that these places must have a certain charm....that;s the good side of it anyway!

have fun and enjoy the fresh continental bread...

remember to get some suits done in hoi an. these tailors are 2nd to none!!!

yeah...planning on getting the suits made...i need a few.
    do they do pants too? like jeans & khakis? or only suit pants?

less is more

what are some places off the beaten track...less touristy but a great lil spot..again..we are quite boring.....dont really drink or party...we just like to relax and take in local culture and nature through photography
    vietnam is an excellent country to visit. i've been to much of the country. i have not been to hoi an, but have heard good things. it has a historic district, but also beaches to chill. central highlands are amazing, with motorcycle tours that are tailored to suit. domestic flights are a BIG cheap timesaver. sapa is amazing for mountain treks. saigon is cool for undescribable reasons. hanoi is appealing, historic but grittier than the guidebooks detail.

hoi an is probably your best bet for a five day girlfriend trip as there are options of historical and beach-oriented interest...time enough to feel the place without rushing to the next destination.

Hey everyone....

was hoping to get some input for places of interest.
    my g/f and i are taking a short vacation last week of october. we will have 5 days. we dont get much time for travel at the moment, and havent traveled much at all in past year (aside from moving to HK), so i would like this to be nice but not expensive.

we are somewhat boring, as we just like to go to quiet places, where we can see spectacular views, maybe dip in a beautiful body of water or something, and really we just like to take photos and relax.

we were thinking of:

Cambodia : dont know of a beautiful non-touristy area
    hainan : sanya maybe?
    Vietnam : hanoi maybe?

any ideas to help me in my searching?
    http://www.vietnamwar.com/hanoihilton.htm

I would do Hanoi and the rest of 'nam. The history of the place makes it worthwhile and would be interested in progress since the war. Will you be staying at the Hilton? yikes!
    Last edited by MotoHK; 11-09-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoHK
    http://www.vietnamwar.com/hanoihilton.htm

I would do Hanoi and the rest of 'nam. The history of the place makes it worthwhile and would be interested in progress since the war. Will you be staying at the Hilton? yikes!
    Not the Hanoi Hilton...

I prefer more exotic places (Sanya, Tahiti) or cultural historical places.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2