Traveling ideas?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Traveling ideas?

Hey everyone....

was hoping to get some input for places of interest.
    my g/f and i are taking a short vacation last week of october. we will have 5 days. we dont get much time for travel at the moment, and havent traveled much at all in past year (aside from moving to HK), so i would like this to be nice but not expensive.

we are somewhat boring, as we just like to go to quiet places, where we can see spectacular views, maybe dip in a beautiful body of water or something, and really we just like to take photos and relax.

we were thinking of:

Cambodia : dont know of a beautiful non-touristy area
    hainan : sanya maybe?
    Vietnam : hanoi maybe?

any ideas to help me in my searching?

What sort of place do you want to stay? You may struggle to find somewhere that has a nice hotel but no tourists...

Last edited by PDLM; 05-09-2006 at 01:43 PM.

sorry...let me revise that thought....

we want vietnam
    we want local feel, natural environment
    i know we will see tourists...but fewer better
    just looking for something cozy and relaxing for us to stroll around taking photos, hiking, seeing some nature, maybe jump in a nice clean ocean beach

i am looking at photos first of places that i can find online that look nice:
    nha trang
    da lat
    hanoi
    hoi an

Last edited by BenderBends; 05-09-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattstewart:
    sorry...let me revise that thought....

we want vietnam
    we want local feel, natural environment
    i know we will see tourists...but fewer better
    just looking for something cozy and relaxing for us to stroll around taking photos, hiking, seeing some nature, maybe jump in a nice clean ocean beach

i am looking at photos first of places that i can find online that look nice:
    nha trang
    da lat
    hanoi
    hoi an
    I would not recommend Nha Trang..it is nice but Philippine or else have more beautiful beaches.

however HOI AN is a great destination.

i second hoi an...
    was there back in 1996-1997... absolutely loved it!

but that was back before there were any resorts in vientam at all...they hadn't even heard of mcdonald's! it was wonderful!

you could also try the maldives...if you're into relaxing on the beach and not much else, it looks spectacular!

well...we dont just want a beach....

i skimmed thru photos and like these places so far:

Nha Trang
    Da Lat
    Hoi An
    Hanoi
    Chua Huong
    Ninh Binh

we only have 5 days / 4 nites
    Dont know which places to see, but want most picturesque
    and...anyone know my best option for planning an itinerary (NOT TOUR) for all of this? any agencies that will book everything for you beforehand based on your plans?

If price is a consideration, visiting the south will be cheaper than going to Hanoi. From Hanoi or Saigon, you can visit central Vietnam pretty easily (Hue or Danang and then day trip to Hoi An -- Hoi An is an overrated tourist trap in my opinion, far prefer Hue). Everything is quite easily booked once you're on the ground. Airfares are cheaper if purchased locally. You should have no problem speaking English.

I've always wanted to go to 'nam. Check out Saigon. Search for Pol Pot. Khemer Rouge places etc. Frightening stuff but part of world history.

that's way too much for 5 days. if you can manage that in 5 days then you deserve a medal as you realise it will take 1/2 a day or more to get between some of these places.

been to the top 1st 4 on the list.

if you have 5 days, i;d recommend dalat (hill station , but over-rated. it's no where near the paris of the of the east of whatever the guide books say), then hoi an, which is amazing and a short cycle ride to a nice beach (hence give nha trang a miss - it was good for me cos i was drunk most of the time and then had food poisoning) and finally hanoi with a side trip to halong bay.

the above will be still a bit rushed but manageable with time to chill and good variety!

vietnam is way too touristy, but so so charming!

no one seems to go to laos, but this has got to be my favorite in indo china!

Quote Originally Posted by mattstewart:
    well...we dont just want a beach....

i skimmed thru photos and like these places so far:

Nha Trang
    Da Lat
    Hoi An
    Hanoi
    Chua Huong
    Ninh Binh

we only have 5 days / 4 nites
    Dont know which places to see, but want most picturesque
    and...anyone know my best option for planning an itinerary (NOT TOUR) for all of this? any agencies that will book everything for you beforehand based on your plans?

Quote Originally Posted by MotoHK:
    I've always wanted to go to 'nam. Check out Saigon. Search for Pol Pot. Khemer Rouge places etc. Frightening stuff but part of world history.
    i think you mean cambodia...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast