Like Tree1Likes

new zealand

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by fromagefrais:
    where would you recommend in terms of towns/villages and hotels/B&Bs?

how long would you need to go for to make it worthwhile - is it a long weekend kind of place?

what is it like during christmas in terms of weather?
    You might find this official NZ Government Tourism link handy for planning purposes - New Zealand, the Youngest Country - Tourism New Zealand official travel information > New Zealand

You won't be able to properly cover all the main attractions NZ has to offer in just a week (unless you don't mind a mad dash type of holiday), I suggest you focus spending your time in a region (or two) of interest instead.

It'll also be in the full swing of summer during Christmas, so don't forget to slap on some sunblock as the sun will be unrelenting then.

It's been sometime since I spent Christmas in NZ but I believe a lot of shops (particularly in the smaller cities) still close down over the Christmas NY period (e.g. 3 days - a week), so you might want to take this into account too.

Have lots of fun!

Carang is right, to really see NZ you need at least 3-4 weeks.

It is a very diverse country. I, for example, would never do Auckland if I only had a week - it's just another city - I would fly straight into Queenstown and do all the attractions of the South Island - hiking, scenic views, bungy jumping or jet boating or eating out at Queenstown's fabulous restaurants in one of the most scenic places on earth.

I might include flying into or out of Queenstown and into or out of Christchurch too, so that you can do the drive between Queenstown and Christchurch (approx 5 hours) which is very scenic in places but takes in some different south Island scenery.

So - what kind of thing do you like to do?

PS - in terms of weather - it depends where you go. Auckland is warmer than anywhere on the South Island; Wellington is very wet and windy - in fact much of NZ is wet.

PS - in terms of weather - it depends where you go. Auckland is warmer than anywhere on the South Island; Wellington is very wet and windy - in fact much of NZ is wet.[/QUOTE]

I always advise people going to NZ to be sure to pack something warm, a jacket or jumper at least. It can be lovely and warm at Christmas but you can easily get some cold weather. We have had Christmas poolside one year and fireside the next, its a lottery.

After doing New Zealand in a weekend stop by for an evening in Australia maybe.

Can be done. I once went to Sydney for lunch.

While living in NZ I went to Australia for a 'day trip' many times. But would never suggest it for a holiday!!!!