Like Tree56Likes

bangkok with children

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

bangkok with children

I have to take my son to Bangkok to get his teeth fixed. We will be there for 11 nights. Some of the time will be spent at the hospital (ie. the day he has them done) but then we have a 1 week wait between visits. Although, I'd be happy to relax at the hotel having a massage everyday, I know that is not possible with a child. so....

I'm wondering if there is anything we should "not miss"? I've done some reading and I've come up with the following:

Siam Ocean World
    Dream World
    Safari World
    Sampran Elephant Ground & Zoo
    Siam Water Park (our hotel has a pool, so will probably give this a miss. $ is an issue)
    Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm

Have any of you been to these places? Were they any good? Would you go again with your kids or would you give them a miss? Would you suggest taking a tour (I am NOT usually a "tour" type person, but it'll just be my son and I so maybe, it's not a bad idea?) or would you just get taxis?

We are staying off of Sukhumvit in the Adelphi Suites. Have any of you stayed there? Do you know if there are any supermarkets around?

Another question: how long does it take to get to pattaya? Would it be possible to go for a day-trip?

Depending on traffic it takes about 2 hours by car to Pattaya (one way).

thanks... guess we'll have to see how it goes.

I was on a tour to Thailand at end of July with my kids. Spent couple days in Bangkok and went to Dream World and Siam Ocean World. My kids and I would go back there. When we went to Dream World on a weekday, pretty much no line up for the kid rides so they were able to stay on the rides until they got bored. Went to Snow Town and did the toboggan thing a few times, used to snow since from Calgary but kids too young to remember, really fun, I think I enjoyed it more than my kids, lol. Unfortunately our stay there was interrupted by a huge rain storm. At Siam Ocean World, we fed shrimps to the fishes on a boat which was really fun, definitely do that. Overall, really enjoyed Ocean World, lots to see. We did stay at Pattaya but not for the beaches, went to Ko Samet for that. Have to say traffic in Bangkok is brutal. Make sure to bring sun screen, bug spray, hat, and an umbrella . HTH.

The crocodiles farm, few years ago when i went its was pretty run down, there were hardly anyone there at all.. but we still get to see the crocodiles show and we get to feed the crocodiles which were really cool. they give you like a stick with string wrap around a piece of meat and you lower it down on to the crocodiles pool and they will jump for it! it was awesome.. but expect it to be very run down and very old.
    There also mutant crocodiles there ( two head, two tails , two heart etc. )
    and ... you can buy crocodile skin handbag there ;D

thanks for the information. i appreciate you taking the time to reply.

There are three supermarkets that are walking distance from where you are staying. Across Sukhumvit on soi 5 there's a slightly smaller one near the entrance of the street on the left and past soi 15 right on Sukhumvit there's a bigger Robinson in the basement. There's also a Villa Market on soi 11 right across from soi 8. I think you should be ok...

I actually just got back from Bangkok with my kids two days ago.

I took my 5-year old niece and 3-year old daughter to Siam Water Park - you mentioned you might skip it and that $ is an issue, but just wanted to let you know that an adult ticket is 300bht and child ticket is 100bht so you can gauge for yourself if you think it is affordable. These tickets also include entrance to the adjacent amusement park, so you're kind of getting two attractions in one. During the week it is pretty deserted, so you have the place to yourself. The children had a blast! They did not want to leave-- they kept asking if we could go back again. There were great pools/slides for children- many different ones to choose from, and the amusement park has the standard rides that all kids love.

thanks, will keep it in mind. did you go to any of the other "attractions"? what did you think?

Sorry, I don't know anything about the other attractions you listed. I mean, I read about them when preparing to go, but I didn't visit personally. We were in Phuket for a week and then Bangkok for the other, but we were meeting up with family so most of our time was spent at home or restaurants or shopping.

May I ask why you are going to Bangkok for the dentist? I'm just wondering why your son's teeth cannot be worked on in HK. If it's personal, you don't have to tell me; I'm more wondering if there is some kind of limitation to dental work here that I don't know about. We haven't gone to the dentist yet or even looked into it so I don't know how the prices/insurance coverage are.

Also, about taxis, we met a nice driver who quoted us 1000bht to take us to the water park and back. He picked us up at 9am, and said he would stay there until 5pm to take us back, but I called him at 4pm since we didn't need to stay that long, and he was just sitting in the parking lot. You could probably negotiate, but I didn't because I felt that was already a good rate that I was willing to pay.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast