Like Tree8Likes

Have a bone to pick with DragonAir / Cathay Pacific

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Have a bone to pick with DragonAir / Cathay Pacific

I recently flew back to HK from Shanghai. My flight was scheduled to arrive in HK at 4:30pm, but we did not arrive until 9:45pm. Neither anyone from Dragon Air ever contacted me about the delay nor did the ground crew inform me of the delay when I was checking in. I only found out when I got to the gate at 12:45pm for a 1:30 flight from the ground crew at the gate. They told me that the plane has not arrived from HK due to bad weather conditions in HK; furthermore, they could not determine the length of the delay. Funny thing though, I checked with the weather report in HK and found out that HK was sunny with slight overcast. (FYI, it was raining in Shanghai for about an hour, but the sky cleared up at around 1:00pm) The plane finally arrived and we were boarded at 2:30pm.

All is good until……we sat on the tarmac till 6:45pm. The captain told us that due to the cloudy conditions in Shanghai, the Shanghai air controller would not allow us to take off, but we were 2nd in line and that we should be taking off soon. That was 3:30pm. At around 5:00pm, the captain told us that there were people who wanted to get off the plane, but he does not recommend disembarkment as we are now first in line. At 6:00pm, after a lot screaming and complaining, the captain made another announcement that he will start the process for those passengers who want to disembark the plane.

Lo and behold, at 6:45pm, we were told by the captain to fasten our seatbelts as we are taking off.

Now during the whole four hours plus ordeal, we were served with 1 drink, 1 bun, and 1 ice cream cup. Kids were crying because they hungry, but the flight attendants refused to serve the passengers with a proper meal. An old lady who sat behind me asked for a cup of hot tea and was scolded by one of the flight attendants. The flight attendant told her that she would serve her some tea, but she better hurry up and drink it as the plane would take off any seconds (more like 4 hours).

I asked one of the ‘nicer’ flight attendants if delays of such nature are usual and she told me that she has experienced delays throughout the last several months from Shanghai and Beijing. Now, I understand that flights are delayed due to unforeseen circumstances like weather, but if these delayed are not of unusual circumstances and are seen as normal, don’t you think airlines should be better prepared for such delays? Why can’t they inform passengers earlier and let them decide if they want to take the risk and sit on the tarmac for 4 hours. Also, if this is usual, why can’t they supply more food on the flight, like a few crackers or biscuits?

I felt like a hostage on the flight with no rights or a voice. I felt like one of the cattle and made to feel that way. Sadly, this is with one of the best airline to fly to Mainland China.

To add salt to injury, I filed a complaint with Cathay and the customer relations person told me basically to **** off and buy travel insurance.

Vrindavan likes this.

One of the factors which is out of the Airline's control is that the PLA tends to shut down the airspace for random reasons.

That does not excuse CX's behavior.

I've been held on the plane by Dragonair, China Eastern, KLM and PAL. Have to say that I think generally airlines are really crap in this sort of situation. I know they often don't have much information to give but they could try to be more informative and helpful.

Talking

I have had this experience as well flying back from Shanghai to HK, once it was due to congestion and plus thunder storms so was stuck in the plane on the tarmac for nearly 4 hours, was given 1 icecream and some drinks only, man did it suck plus dying for a smoke didnt help.

Second time we were at the runway about to take off and then we turned around and headed back to the terminal, seems that they forgot to load some cargo and so we had to wait for the cargo to load up and by that time weather had gone bad so we were stuck again for a few hours.

Both times with Dragon Air.

Like Shri said, the delay is mostly likely have something to do with the PLA and the recent military exercises by SK, US and PRC in the Yellow sea region. Expected to have more delays.

Again I pose the question, if this is of usual circumstance, why can't airlines be more prepared about delays? I only wish we can start some sort of Bill of Rights for airline passengers and make airline companies be more responsible for foreseen delays.

F.A.O. HKer88:

Could you provide the date and flight number please?

Sure. July 29. 2010. Flight: CX6861.

All my collegues going to or from Hangzhou have had the same thing happen (including me). Hangzhou shares the same airspace as Shanghai and because it's so conjested now with both new terminals opened (Hangzhou in the last 2 months opened their new one) it has put a strain on times. There is only a small window of opportunity to allow flights to leave and if there is some delay then it is hard for the flight to get another window (unless there is a delay from another flight).

When I was sitting on the tarmac after a 4 1/2 hour delay the pilot told us early on that food could not be served to allow for quick takeoff if the window opens briefly. Generally they only have 10-15 minutes to takeoff. This makes sense as serving and cleaning up on these flights is a long process. Though doesn't count the fact that you are starving!

I was lucky that time, I was upgraded to business and did plenty of work on the plane to pass the time.

Last edited by virago; 06-09-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    All my collegues going to or from Hangzhou have had the same thing happen (including me). Hangzhou shares the same airspace as Shanghai and because it's so conjested now with both new terminals opened (Hangzhou in the last 2 months opened their new one) it has put a strain on times. There is only a small window of opportunity to allow flights to leave and if there is some delay then it is hard for the flight to get another window (unless there is a delay from another flight).

When I was sitting on the tarmac after a 4 1/2 hour delay the pilot told us early on that food could not be served to allow for quick takeoff if the window opens briefly. Generally they only have 10-15 minutes to takeoff. This makes sense as serving and cleaning up on these flights is a long process. Though doesn't count the fact that you are starving!

I was lucky that time, I was upgraded to business and did plenty of work on the plane to pass the time.
    Cheers, flying to Hangzhou on Thursday!
    DJ008 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast