Sanya for Christmas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sanya for Christmas

Hi, I am wanting to go away for the Christmas holidays but alas everything is very expensive, surprise, surprise. Just wondering if anyone has been to Sanya, particularly around Christmas time. How was it? Would you recommend it above other beach holidays (e.g. thailand, bali etc.). How was the weather. Oh and I would be travelling on my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have been hearing good things about Sanya. We were planning on going there last month.

The only downside seems to be that Dragon Air tends to consolidate two flights into one, if they don't have a certain amount of bookings -- this can cut a holiday short by a few hours or leave you stranded if you have, like one of our friends, not given Dragon Air a mobile number to contact you on.

Hi I went to Sanya in May for a long weekend and found it great. It was the end of the season but great place to just chill.

I stayed in Dandong hai beach which has some nightlife but not heaps more like a few bars and hotel bars with bands. Hotels where clean cheap and good but 4 star 5 star is not what you would expect elsewhere.

There seems to be a large amount of Russians which makes life a little interesting especially in the bars, had one guy doing tequilla slammers with himself and some very strange games of pool. The beaches are good but not brilliant (compared to Australia for example). The water was ok to swim in and most hotels have reasonable pools. The food is great especially the seafood. The local people seemed really friendly and it is easy to get by with just English but if you speak Russian or Chinese it is better. Still amazed how many local people speak Chinese, Russian and English plus probably a local dialect.

Have just booked to stay there over Christmass but I believe it could be busy from what I am told as the the Russian new year starts 6 th Jan. If there is anything specifically you wanted to ask let me know

>> large amount of Russians

Thats what we heard too.

Regardless, I keep hearing good things about Sanya and its definately on our list of places to go to next year (when things warm up a little bit so that our son can hit the swimming pool)

Fly from Shenzhen if money's of concern. The savings are quite considerable.

I think Sanya is a good place for a quick getaway since it's only a 1-hr flight, so it makes it closer than a lot of the other destinations you mentioned.

We went there earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. We plan to go back next year. You could see about a package deal from some of the bigger chinese agencies to see if you can get a decent package for the dates that you want.

KIA, D will certainly enjoy the pools, I had A in the pool in the morning and at night after dinner everyday while we were there, and the water was warm and balmy not cold even after sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    Fly from Shenzhen if money's of concern. The savings are quite considerable.
    Definitely worth considering as there are more flights from Shenzhen and a lot cheaper

Just got back from Sanya yesterday- had a relaxing enjoyable time for 3 days. One day had perfect weather, one day was a little cool and windy but some of our party still got in the water that day. Might need to check how the weather should be later this month. I'd recommend staying somewhere in Yalong bay (like Sheraton or Holiday Inn if you're looking for 5-star). They town itself did not have quite as much to offer as somewhere in Thailand like Koh Samui, but the actual beaches were great and maybe even better. Nice wide sandy beaches, very clean, etc. They have all the typical water sport activities. Tourist spots to consider: Luhuitou Park or End of the Earth for scenic walks/views/cultural activities; Yalong Bay Underwater World or West Island for water activities.

I agree, there are bunch of hotels around that area, sheraton is the best. The only problem is abit chill compares to south east asia. And the night life is less interesting..............but for golf and some water activity is nice, not necessary cost competitive during holiday seasons.

Had never heard of Sanya until I saw this article today. Sounds nice.....

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...-27977,00.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast