Travel Alerts

Closed Thread

Travel Alerts

BBC News: US will issue travel warning for Americans in Europe

The US government is to issue a travel alert, warning its citizens to be vigilant while travelling in Europe because of the threat of an al-Qaeda commando-style attack.
    BBC News: Indonesia train crash kills dozens

National police spokesman Iskandar Hasan said: "The suspected cause of the accident was a mistake in the traffic management system."

Transport ministry spokesman Bambang Ervan added: "It may have been mechanical. We're checking to see if the signals of the parked train were working properly."
    Hong Kong Security Bureau Travel Alerts

Indonesia (Amber Alert) Bomb attacks in Jakarta in recent months.
    I would have thought the purpose of an alert is to warn against future dangers, rather than past ones.
    Last edited by drumbrake; 03-10-2010 at 02:09 PM.

I wonder what US citizens travelling in Europe are supposed to do to be vigilant against commando style attacks? Look out for muslims carrying machine guns?

"Avoid crowded places" is the official advice if I am not wrong.

The HK one on the Philippines is an utter pile of sh*t and it totally baseless.

Also, its now October and the travel alert has been in place for over a month.

The fact that Iran is in amber and the Philippines is in Black is a total joke.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    The HK one on the Philippines is an utter pile of sh*t and it totally baseless.

Also, its now October and the travel alert has been in place for over a month.

The fact that Iran is in amber and the Philippines is in Black is a total joke.
    Because the one on Europe in'st a total pile of s*ite?

I would think both are utter BS....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Because the one on Europe in'st a total pile of s*ite?

I would think both are utter BS....
    I think both are stupid and cause the system to lose all credibility. The little boy who cried wolf comes to mind.

Hullexile's travel advisories:

- travelling is dangerous as is staying at home, shit happens
    - going somewhere where there is a war going on is dangerous
    - going somewhere poor with "I am a rich tourist please mug me" tattooed on your forehead is dangerous
    - extreme sports are dangerous, extreme sports in a war zone are even more dangerous
    - hiking near the border of Iran is a really stupid idea

Press Release From Cathay Pacific (emphasis is mine):

Cancellation of The Marco Polo Club Golf Classic 2010

We have decided to cancel The Marco Polo Club Golf Classic, which was to be held in Manila from 5 to 7 November 2010, due to the number of enquiries and withdrawals from the tournament by members following the unfortunate incident involving Hong Kong tourists in the Philippines. And since the Hong Kong SAR Government has issued a black outbound travel alert for the Philippines that could be in effect for quite some time, this is further reason we call off this year’s event

French travel alert for the UK.

Il est recommandé de faire preuve d’une extrême vigilance dans les transports publics et les sites touristiques les plus fréquentés.

And i issue a travel warning to (or through) france (airports) for any non-french speaking people. Because they will pretend not to understand you anyway.
    Posted via Mobile Device