Single travelling, koh samui/koh phangan advice

Closed Thread

Single travelling, koh samui/koh phangan advice

I am travelling to Koh Samui for a week, end of dec/beginning of jan....solo traveller (was supposed to be on vacation from today, still wanna make it on my own and use the ticket) i'm after any advice anyone can give me really! Where is best to stay? not too expensive but not a backpackers’ place too, friendly (possibly to meet some like-minded people), by the beach. I would like to try a dive course out there, some tours around islands. Heading to koh phangan first for countdown fool moon party, 2 nights more than enough over there? less? better to stay on Samui?
    Any suggestion on a hotel on Samui from “veterans” ?

Thank you

if you are heading up to phangan , one more island up is koh tao the divers island. the bad; koh tao a dive factory , the good is the corals are beautiful and very healthy, which is why everyone is there. =D. i would say in thailand koh tao diving is second only to the similian island nature reserve.

i don't know the name of any hotels on samui, usually the first stop is to rent a scooter and then drive around until i find i place like, you can inspect the room and negotiate the cost. i prefer the south eastern part of the island. if you follow some seemingly small roads to no-where they eventually spill to the beach. this is south of the muslim fishing village.

phangan is ok if the moon party is your thing, personally one day is enough there unless you do a yoga retreat.

thanks for the tips, walkabout. at least it's clear about koh phangan. NY eve, i gotta see it