Like Tree2Likes

Qantas jet lands after part of engine falls off

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It seems that in a great many recent flight dramas pilots with military training have luckily been there to save the day through extraordinary skill and calm thinking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Loz_2; 04-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Well I'm currently at Changi on a 630pm flight to HK ...still at the gate due to the runway being closed. Why the heck have they closed the runway for goodness sake???? No idea when we will take off.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    A possibility of debris on the runway perhaps?

Remember Concorde!!

Well I'm currently at Changi on a 630pm flight to HK ...still at the gate due to the runway being closed. Why the heck have they closed the runway for goodness sake???? No idea when we will take off.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Because Concorde's career was, in effect, brought to an end by debris that had fallen off a preceding plane's engine on the runway.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    There was one a few years back where the side blewout leaving a huge hole on a flight from Hawaii I think.
    I think you are talking about the one that landed in Manila? Yeah, that left Hong Kong on its way to Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    I think you are talking about the one that landed in Manila? Yeah, that left Hong Kong on its way to Melbourne.
    That was a flight from Hawaii to NZ. The entire side of the plane blew off taking with it 9 passengers. The cause was avoidable because the aircraft maker had been warned for using a defective cargo dOor system which had a tendency to unlock by its own accord. When this happened at 33000 ft at speed the fuselage ripped open like a can of sardines. The NTSB tried to cover up the reasons for the "accident" but were embarrassingly caught out by the parents of one of the victims wh stole the records detailing the history f defects from the aircraft makers during a coffee break in the course of the investigatory prceedings. You learn a lot from watching Air Crash Investigations!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    That was a flight from Hawaii to NZ. The entire side of the plane blew off taking with it 9 passengers. The cause was avoidable because the aircraft maker had been warned for using a defective cargo dOor system which had a tendency to unlock by its own accord. When this happened at 33000 ft at speed the fuselage ripped open like a can of sardines. The NTSB tried to cover up the reasons for the "accident" but were embarrassingly caught out by the parents of one of the victims wh stole the records detailing the history f defects from the aircraft makers during a coffee break in the course of the investigatory prceedings. You learn a lot from watching Air Crash Investigations!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Well, that one wasn't "a few years back" and it wasn't a Qantas flight. That is why I suggested it was the Qantas Manila incident from two years ago - which blew a hole in the side of the plane:

-deleted----------

Last edited by Renotommy; 04-11-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Because Concorde's career was, in effect, brought to an end by debris that had fallen off a preceding plane's engine on the runway.
    But the incident was over 7 hours prior to my flight .. Reckon I could have hand-swept the runway personally in that time!
    Posted via Mobile Device

But the incident was over 7 hours prior to my flight .. Reckon I could have hand-swept the runway personally in that time!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Maybe they found some flattened chewing gum on the runway and a federal investigation was launched!
    MovingIn07 likes this.

BBC News - Second Qantas jet in engine scare

The second one in as many days!

Anyone else think that the Qantas guy is a bit (suspiciously) quick off the mark with his comments about it being an "engine issue" with the investigation barely in it's infancy???