Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

Niseko or Hakuba??

Closed Thread

Red face Niseko or Hakuba??

We are looking to book a ski holiday and wondering which of these resorts is most recommended?

We are looking for somewhere that has good apres ski (as close as possible to Europe apres ski!!) mainly with plenty of variety of runs for all levels of skier.

Thank you!

From what I hear Niseko is better, but also probably more expensive.

The apres ski around Niseko Hirafu is quite good, all within walking distance. I understand its not as active as european apres ski, but there are a bunch of bars and restaurants. The best things about apres ski in Japan though are the onsens, can't beat them.

We're heading of to Hakuba this Christmas, mainly because of the cost, otherwise we would have gone back to Niseko.

Hi Pin

What are the costs for Hakuba that you have found? I'm also looking for an alternative to niseko.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob70:
    Hi Pin

What are the costs for Hakuba that you have found? I'm also looking for an alternative to niseko.
    We have a cottage for six of us for 115,000 yen.

As for flights we are flying into Tokyo.

To get to Hakuba, I haven't quite figured that out yet. We will either get a shared bus or do the train combo.

Haven't looked into ski passes, etc yet, but all the information for that is available on the internet.
    Loz_2 likes this.

if night life is a big focus then it has to be Niseko. Lots of Australians, think there's a 747 goes there every day, so much more lively I've found than Hakuba. Hakuba is a good choice if you want to combine it with a few days in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by steviem71:
    if night life is a big focus then it has to be Niseko. Lots of Australians, think there's a 747 goes there every day, so much more lively I've found than Hakuba. Hakuba is a good choice if you want to combine it with a few days in Tokyo.
    Haven't made it to Hakuba yet, but from what I understand Steviem is right, the nightlife is a bit more "relaxed" there compared to Niseko.

However its cheaper. For this trip it really did come down to money. If money wasn't an issue we would have probably gone up to Niseko.

my friend said Niseko, Hirafu is very expat-friendly. most ppl speak english there

but for the "authentic" japanese experience, she highly recommended Nagano. she stayed at Nozawa onsen - one of those onsen hotels when she was there early this year
    SnowJapan Maps - Japan ski resort maps and locations - SnowJapan ski & snowboard resorts

from what i last remembered (on the slopes, not the night lifes)...

niseko is much larger and has broad variety of slopes for everyone across levels. whereas hakuba is more challenging especially at the top.. the ex-olympic slopes is famous around the world..

transport wise i think you can take the train to hakuba from tokyo.. whereas niseko u need to fly into chitose (hokkaido) + train/bus and that flight might be more costly. but one thing, tokyo narita must be one of the most inaccessible and terrible major international airport in the world!

Yes, lots of bars and restaurants in Niseko, and loads of Aussies too as someone already said. From friends and personal experience, the runs in Niseko are more difficult than other Japanese resorts, or at least the grading appear so. Green in Niseko seems more like the reds at Rusustu or Naeba...

Not sure about Hakuba, will be going there coming January!