Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HKfornow

Boracay - Where to stay?

Closed Thread

Boracay - Where to stay?

My wife and I would like a nice relaxing vaction and are considering Boracay. Where would you recommend to stay that has easy access to White Sand Beach? If not on the beach, where else would you recommend. 5 stars is preferred. Thank you!

When I went to Boracay, I never saw a place that I would qualify as 5 stars.

The mainland tourist groups are back in the Phils. Bloody nightmare at the airport this morning with a row erupting between gweilos and queue jumping mainlanders but good I suppose. Seems it is considered safe enough for them at least.

There is a Shangri-La at Boracay so you did not look very hard Gilles.

I stayed at several Shangri La's in the Philippines and they compared with 3 stars hotel in Thailand but that was several years ago, they may have improved. The one in Cebu was borderline bad with burns on the carpet, rickety furniture, rust on the taps etc... The grounds and the beach were nice though

My personal experience of hotels in the Phil is to subtract at least one and often two stars from whatever the rating is... I went on a first class package to Boracay and it was shockingly appalling for that price. I'm not fussy, I usually stay in very modest places and extremely rarely in 5 stars where they gouge you for everything(in Egypt, I paid more for a bottle of water at the Intercontinental than for dinner out in the street), I hate to pay a high price and get a so so experience...

CHeck out Shangri-La, Discovery Shores, Hyatt Regency, Friday's Boracay... )

The Peninsula Makati was definitely 5 star, though I have to agree not as good as the Peninsula Beijing. Never been to Boracay so can't comment on the hotels there but I would be surprised if nowadays Shangri La let their standard slip too much, global brand and all that.

Can't beat Filipino hospitality at Fridays.
    Posted via Mobile Device

station 2 properties are the most touristy. since it is in the middle, it tends to be the busiest part of the island since it has more restaurants and bars than stations 1 or 3

station 1 is the most "upmarket" location and is the more quieter part of the island. the properties here are pricier.

station 3 is known for more cheaper or more affordable accommodations like hostels

there are many properties in boracay that claim to be near the beach but actually are located at the back of real beach front accommodations and also there are no real rating standards here. one may claim AAA status or 5 stars but actually it is just 3 stars and vice versa.

try discovery or shangri-la if you prefer a more upmarket accommodation.

shangri-la btw is located in a cove all on its own - further away from the main stations.

you may also consider staying in palawan if you are wanting a more quiet vacation - el nido resorts or if your pocket is deep, amanpulo.

if you are after vacation with a more party atmosphere, go to boracay.

Last edited by Star Gazer; 28-11-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spanish queen:
    CHeck out Shangri-La, Discovery Shores, Hyatt Regency, Friday's Boracay... )
    We visited most of these properties December last year and here are my thoughts.

Shangrila, is by far the nicest and new kid on the block, however, they are remote, and not in the main strip with all the other hotels. They sort of remind me of the Banyan Tree in Phuket. So if you are there to relax and enjoy the facilities, this is a good choice (I believe they have a shuttle bus to take you to D'mall)

Discovery Shores, we visited for a lunch, and the place looks nice, but had more of a very nice Condo feel to it. Thought I looked at the pool and thought it was not really that clean. Food there was over-rated.

Fridays, we went to their dinner buffet, as it was rather late, I did not get a good view of the property, however, I thought the layout was not very practical, however, this could be because we were with older folks, and they had problems accessing the path to the beach. On the other hand, we enjoyed the dinner and show.

Regency (I don't believe there is a Hyatt regency, but a Boracay Regency), this was where we stayed. This hotel is not what I would term luxurious, but more like an upscale Holiday Inn a 3.5 star, in a good location (this was also the only place we could book at that time for peak season to accommodate our group). They are walking distance to D'Mall.

You might also look at the reviews in Trip Advisor for these properties to see which property would suit your needs. Hope this helps.
    CPA4U likes this.

If you truly want to be pampered and treated like an emperor as one often does in 5 star (or above) resorts in many places (Thailand comes to mind), I'd avoid Boracay. It's a pretty chilled out place and in my humble opinion more suitable for renting a nice little bungalow or staying in an affordable local place. Never saw anything there that is close to the luxury of 5 star hotels I've seen in say HK, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand. As many posters above have pointed out, 5 star does not really mean 5 star in Boracay. Nice place overall though.