Ex-TPE flights?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    pricing policy interference
    By pricing policy interference, do you mean that this promotion which is targeted at premium customers in Taiwan, since the commencement of direct flights between Taiwan and China (and the drop in traffic between HKG-TPE/HKG-China), is being abused by the non-premium clients based in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    By pricing policy interference, do you mean that this promotion which is targeted at premium customers in Taiwan, since the commencement of direct flights between Taiwan and China (and the drop in traffic between HKG-TPE/HKG-China), is being abused by the non-premium clients based in Hong Kong?
    I was not talking about specific routes.
    It is just that Cathay ( and airlines in general ) come up with different price levels for each country.
    E.g. departing from HK is quite expensive.
    So Cathay does not want Hongkongers to start from Taipei
    ( a market they want to conquer and thus offer cheap flights)
    to fly through HK to intercontinental locations and then just stay in HK on the RT.

As to PDLM's last post, I am sorry but I feel you misinterpreted the meaning of 'force' .
    But your writing reminds me of something else.
    How come airline employees ask passengers arriving from India to show their passports & visa when exiting the plane ?
    What passport I carry is none of their business.
    In Europe police does that and they have the authority to do so.
    Last edited by Morrison; 13-01-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Over the years I have thrown away final segments of tickets on multiple occasions without problems (normally on RTW tickets rather than ex-TPE specials).
    im not sure if im doing a "ex-TPE" special....im just going to HK Cathay site to buy a HKG-TPE round trip coach seat ... and then separately going to TW Cathay site to book a TPE-USA round trip business seat. is that the same as what you did?

also...whats the RTW tickets?

How come airline employees ask passengers arriving from India to show their passports & visa when exiting the plane ?
    What passport I carry is none of their business.
    Indeed - I don't recall being asked to show my passport on exit to an airline employee. I do seem to remember the cabin crew asking us to have our passports ready for inspection by HK Immigration and/or customs people on exiting the plane, which is within their powers. I've had the same thing happen in the US and elsewhere too.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    also...whats the RTW tickets?
    Round The World. The oneworld alliance has tickets called "oneworl Explorer" which used to be extraordinarily good value, particularly in business and first when bought in strange countries. Sadly over the last 10 years the ticket rules have got progressively less attractive and the prices substantially higher.

This is off-topic, I know. I arrived on a Sri lankan Airlines flight on Monday and HK Immigration were checking passports of passengers of the Indian sub continent descent as soon as you got off the plane.

They didn't check mine, coz the officers were all busy.

What is the point of checking passports at that point when passengers eventually have to clear immigration?

My guess is that they are checking at the point at which it is indisputable which airline has brought them to HK so that if they have done so without them having valid visas the airline can be obliged to take them back whence they came.

Not to mention logistics. You dont want delays at the main immigration counters when too many flights arrive at the same time (and arrive from specific countries)

I did this as a return to Perth in December. I checked bags through to HK only. I had no problems at all. I am about to do the same (also to Perth) at the end of January.

Even better for perth ... just rang cathay and they are letting me use my "leftover" hk-tpe leg!

Last edited by MovingIn07; 13-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Does this also work for flights to the UK?