Now I know never to fly BA

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There isn't normally easy access to the cargo hold inflight.

And cargo holds are heated these days - that's how pets survive being transported there. On some aircraft the crew rest area is in the cargo hold (down a very narrow ladder/staircase).

Last edited by PDLM; 23-03-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Am I the only person on this site that found this whole thing hysterical?

Jeez guys .. its Friday..

I read about a similar incident last year involving an American guy who died of a heart attack on a transatlantic flight and there were complaints from passengers in business class that his body had been put there.

I really don't know what else the cabin crew can do other than to move the body in to first or business class where there would be more room.

I don't want to comment about the guy who paid GBP3K for the flight but in all honesty I think the poor daughter and son-in-law of the deceased had a lot more problems to deal with than he did.

Why not just comment to the cabin crew that he was not comfortable with the situation and move to another part of the plane? On BA 747s there are 2 seats at the rear of the plane in economy (near the toilets) where cabin staff sit during taking and land off and these seats can be used by passengers in mid-flight. I've done it myself when travelling economy and it gets too stuffy especially if I feel cramped up.

Ironically, had he done that he may even have had a more valid claim for compensation from the airline

What about putting the body in one of the toilets and locking the door?

There isn't normally easy access to the cargo hold inflight.
    Yeah there is - I've watched Flightplan
    And cargo holds are heated these days - that's how pets survive being transported there. On some aircraft the crew rest area is in the cargo hold (down a very narrow ladder/staircase).
    But my suitcases always arrive at the carousel feeling a lot cooler than room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Yeah there is - I've watched Flightplan
    And air force one and passenger 58

Arnie did it in Commando!

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    What about putting the body in one of the toilets and locking the door?
    How would you like that if you were the daughter and son-in-law travelling with her? Not exactly dignified is it?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    How would you like that if you were the daughter and son-in-law travelling with her? Not exactly dignified is it?
    But then wailing like a banshee throught the flight is not exactly dignified either. Whats wrong with a quiet blubber so as not to disturb the other passengers?

Anyway if I got a free upgrade to First class from Cattle I wouldn't be wailing either.

And yes I am joking in case those of you are thinking of giving me a negative rep.

Jimbo

As harsh as it sound this is standard protocol. As PDLM says, the passageway to the crew compartment (where they sleep on the really long-haul flights) is not a possibility as its quite cramped.

Many years ago I was on a Virgin flight to NY and a woman died inlfight. They left the body in the upperclass area with the daughter there.

Whilst I am not a big fan of BA (crap service, old planes, even older stewardesses), I think they did do the right thing here.

K

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    And air force one and passenger 58

Arnie did it in Commando!
    You need to get out more Jim. Still think the cargo hold would have been a better option but then hey I don't fly much so what do I know.