LOOKING FOR LONG WEEKEND TRIPS

Closed Thread

LOOKING FOR LONG WEEKEND TRIPS

Hi I'm looking for some advice about places to go for a long weekend around Hong Kong or further afield but cheaply. Its for 2 students looking to soak up culture without breaking the banks too much. Cheers xx

Macau
    Kaiping (Guangdong) Dialous
    Yongding (Fujian) Toulous
    Qingyuan (Guangdong)

Lamma Island is worth to consider when you only have a couple of days and don't want to spend any of your precious time to get to the destination. We just stayed at Concerto Inn which is a bit dated but right on the beach. A ferry from Central Pier 4 takes about 30 minutes and walk from there about 20 minutes to the inn. I highly recommend Mr Kebab and Milano Pizzeria if you are interested in Western food.

Lijiang. Fly from Shenzhen (find some cheap dates it's not too expensive). it's stunning. Great for culture (old buildings etc) and also very attractive mountain scenery in the surroundings. Accomodation is high quality and also very cheap (RMB150 a night for a nice room with ensuite bathroom).

Manila is another cheap destination. It's easy for a weekend, the Ayala museum is excellent as is the old town (churches) and the fort bonacasio area. There's plenty of culture in Manila, not all of it pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by appleg:
    Is Manila safe?
    Apparently you should avoid all travel there...if you listen to the HK Security Bureau

Is Manila safe?
    Provided you stick to Makati and the tourist areas, yes. I would not wander down backstreets in some of the poorer districts (but that advice applies in much of Asia). The travel warning from HK is complete crap (political, due to a one-off incident some months ago). The worst that has happened to me in Manila has been taxis trying to rip me off. I've had worse in India. I walk around Manila at night on my own quite happily (mainly in Makati and Ortigas it has to be said).

Taiwan - only an hour flight, safe...

Manila is incredibly different from HK, and is only a short hop away! I'm there very often and I've never had any issues in the Philippines, and I've walked through some of the worst parts of Manila. Sure, I got a lot of attention, but it was always good attention. Probably not a wise idea if you're unsure of yourself/look like easy pickings!

Is Manila safe?
    What do you think? Is anywhere 100% 'safe'? Maybe Manila is as safe as a 3rd world city with thousands of destitute people living in shanty towns can be? There are warm and kind people as well as desperate people who will do anything for a few bucks. Use common sense - yes, you will be safe. Active look for trouble walking around with a big map and camera around your neck waving your money around - maybe not so much.