Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pekkerhead
  • 2 Post By SK65

Junk Trip

Closed Thread

Junk Trip

Hi all.
    I have been invited with a group of friends to go on a junk trip this Saturday leaving from Central Pier. Because I have a bit if time on my hands I have been taxed with coming up with ideas for a route/suggetions of where to go. Why they picked me to find some info is beyond me, as I have only been here a few months, so I thought I would ask the experts.
    I believe we have the junk from early morning to late afternoon. We are taking food and drinks with us but may want to stop off somewhere interesting or maybe for a swim. All suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Over to you.

Some of the coves around Lamma are nice or off towards Sai Kung, both reachable from Central.

it takes a surprisingly long time to get anywhere in a boat from Central. Not sure how long to Sai Kung (which is nice) but perhaps you might be quicker to get around to the south of HK island (there is an island off the coast of Stanley which is supposed to be quite nice)

I recommend Po Toi island - some nice calm bays for swimming, seafront restaurant for eating and some stunning coastline to walk around. Take the long way through Aberdeen for some interesting views.

Char Siu King likes this.

Yes, Po Toi would be a good trip provided that you do have the junk for 7-8 hours or so. I guess it would be a 2 hour journey to get there from Central via Aberdeen (the ferry from Aberdeen takes an hour). You'd want maybe 3-4 hours anchored up to see the island, swim, etc (and take some seafood/beer at the restaurant if you're not taking all your own stuff). Then maybe 90 minutes back to Central the quicker way (from the east).

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming.
    PDLM
    I was hoping you would add input. I have seen a lot of your advice to people's questions and they always seem honest and to the point. The two suggestions on here and another two external to Geo have suggested Po Toi so I think that may well be the route, and as also suggested, via Aberdeen. I hope we have the junk for long enough to do this route. We are now going on Sunday, I hope this makes no difference although it is Easter, and will let you know how it went.
    Thanks again.

Fantastic trip on the junk yesterday. Po Toi via sightseeing around Aberdeen harbour. Anchored off a beech around Po Toi for swimming off the boat and luch then back around the east side for a fantastic sunset. Also the best weather we have had since we have been here (since Jan 2011). All on board enjoyed the route, thanks for the help.

Satay Sue and Pekkerhead like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SK65:
    Fantastic trip on the junk yesterday. Po Toi via sightseeing around Aberdeen harbour. Anchored off a beech around Po Toi for swimming off the boat and luch then back around the east side for a fantastic sunset. Also the best weather we have had since we have been here (since Jan 2011). All on board enjoyed the route, thanks for the help.
    Sounds fantastic. Thanks for coming back and telling us!