Mt. Fuji from the plane

Closed Thread

Mt. Fuji from the plane

Hi - I'm flying in and out of Tokyo next week and wonder which side of the plane should I try and sit on to get the best view of Mt. Fuji.

Many thanks.

I would take a guess at sitting on the right going to Tokyo, the last time I went I was sitting on the left and I had a fantastic view of Tokyo as we flew straight across the bay. I guess the folks on the right would have seen Fuji (Clouds permitting).

Don't forget to wear your foil knickers!

This depends on the wind. The Narita (RJAA) runway is 16R/34L (= 160/340 degrees). Airplanes land into the wind. Your best bet is to check the wind direction for the next couple of days, and then make your seat selection based on that. On the day of your flight, check the wind direction again and try to change your seat if necessary. If you know a CX pilot this is the time to give him a call. If the wind comes from closer to 340 degree, sit on the left, if it's from 160 degree, sit on the right. And if it's overcast, it doesn't matter I guess.

Or you go online on one of the flight tracker web sites and see which runway is in use on the day and change your seat if needed.

Maybe there is an easier way and I am just thinking a bit too complicated... calling ATC at Narita may be an option if it's that important to you. Maybe it's as simple as asking on the gate...

Last edited by 100LL; 20-04-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Best seat is the pilot's seat.

But seriously, when in Tokio go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku, free viewing platfrom from where you can see Mt. Fuji if the weather is clear.

I cannot offer much help, but to post the following links to images of Mt. Fuji taken from the air.

Port side, on descent into Tokyo/Haneda.
    Starboard side, departing from Tokyo/Haneda.
    Starboard side, descent into Tokyo/Narita.
    Port side, on departure from Tokyo/Narita.

As 100LL rightly puts it, all depends on the wind direction the moment your aircraft enters the traffic pattern over Tokyo. However, it appears that departures from/arrivals into Tokyo/Haneda take you closer to Mt. Fuji than those at Tokyo/Narita.

Whatever you do, be sure that you are not seated directly over the wing as then you cannot see anything below you. Select seats either at the very front or back of economy. If you are flying business, then this shouldn't concern you.