Travelling in June - where?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I understood your Greece comment !!!!

Back to where to go......what about Hua Hin that time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma:
    I understood your Greece comment !!!!

Back to where to go......what about Hua Hin that time of year?
    Thanks....

Everywhere in Thailand is wet in Jun-July.. Same in Guam..
    How about beaches in the northern half of Vietnam? China Beach or Nha Thang? Heard good things...

And the official guide says that season is May-Oct...
    Last edited by back2HK; 23-04-2007 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling

good tips thanks. esp back2hk. Currently I may end up with those fully clothed bathers in Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat:
    good tips thanks. esp back2hk. Currently I may end up with those fully clothed bathers in Malaysia
    Go to the islands off the east coast of Malaysia and you'll be fine. I was in my bathers all week when i was there.

..hotel now..

Ok now my problem is being able to find a hotel that I want to laze around in for a week.

I don't really fancy the mega-resorts and would like something small to midsize.

I was looking at www.pangkorlautresort.com but was put off by some negative reports that it was having work done, and was getting a bit tired

Anyone aware of any gems out there that aren't too expensive?

Have a look at this website if you're thinking of travelling to Malaysia.

http://www.pinganchorage.com.my

If you're looking at islands off Malaysia, the resort run by the Berjaya Group on Tioman is ok - its a real family affair at the poolside and the beaches are very quiet since Asian families prefer the pool. You can get a couple of nice snorkelling trips, diving is not as impressive there as Redang islands though. It has a bit of a resorty feeling if you're into that.

There are a couple of nice hotels on Langkawi as well, not as quiet as Tioman but more things to do if you want activities. If you want a more earthy local experience, try the Perhentian islands - they are backpackers, no glitzy hotels, but definately a more rustic local flavour - nice beaches there depending where you end up.

Wouldn't worry about the fully clothed bathers - the places I've mentioned are frequented by Mat Sallehs (the local term for gwailos), and no one stared when I rocked up in a bikini.

I would disagree on Tioman. IT has seen its hey days but is now awfully run down and the food is pretty crap at the Berajaya. The snorkeling was excellent but I found the whole hotel and its service pretty crap.

Big fan of Langkawi, especially the northern parts which have superb beaches and excellent hotels. I have stayed at the Tanjung Rhu 4 times and would recommend it as one of the best small hotels. I have heard good things about the rather pricey Four Seasons next door. The Datai is also a very nice place though I have heard mixed things about the beach there.

Despite my quest not including Bali, that is where I ended up... mostly cos I couldn't get reasonable flights anywhere. It was lovely

Must get out of the UK habit of waiting for "last minute" flights