Big Wave Bay NT Camping?

Closed Thread

Big Wave Bay NT Camping?

Hi!

I am trying to find new and different things to do during the weekends in HK, and I have heard that you can go camping in Big Wave Bay Beach in the NT. Aparently its quite a mission to get there but great fun. Has anyone been there? Can you rent tents, etc or do you have to take everything yourself??

It would be great if someone could help me out with this!

Thanks!

Bwb

Big Wave Bay Is On Hk Island Not Nt

Four places in Hong Kong are called Big Wave Bay or Tai Long Wan (大浪灣):

* 2 are on Lantau Island
    o West of Shek Pik
    o South coast of Chi Ma Wan Peninsula

* 1 is on the east coast of Hong Kong Island

It is the location of Big Wave Bay Beach. Some rock carvings there are declared monuments of Hong Kong.

* 1 is east of the Sai Kung Peninsula
    o East shore of Sai Kung Peninsula, near Ham Tin Wan

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Four places in Hong Kong are called Big Wave Bay or Tai Long Wan (???):

* 2 are on Lantau Island
    o West of Shek Pik
    o South coast of Chi Ma Wan Peninsula

* 1 is on the east coast of Hong Kong Island

It is the location of Big Wave Bay Beach. Some rock carvings there are declared monuments of Hong Kong.

* 1 is east of the Sai Kung Peninsula
    o East shore of Sai Kung Peninsula, near Ham Tin Wan
    Impressive!

IIRC there is nothing (no house) in Tai Long Wan (Sai Kung) so you would have to bring all your stuff. It's something 2-3 hours walk but you may be able to negotiate a deal with a sampang owner (don't remember from where though).

I think I have seen people camping there but I am not sure if it is legal or not (don't know the camping regulations in HK).

I've walked past some official campsites near Big Wave Bay. It was a terraced area just north of the beach, and covered in cow poo. Much better bet would be to camp either behind the beach or even on the headland between the 2 main beaches (I've done this last one many years ago).

It's not a bad trek if you take the bus from MacDonalds in Sai Kung to the end of the road near Sai Wan. Then about a 2 hr (nonstop) hike to big wave bay on a good track. I once heard that the little cluster of restaurants at the northeast end of bwb has tent rentals..can't be sure tho..also cottages in Sai Wan for rent too

I cannot understand why anyone would want to go camping in this climate unless they is a portable 12v a/c unit you can get to fit out your tent.

If you go dont forget the essential Mossie replent body spray. I use a product called OFF from Jusco for the little blighters that get though the home defenses once the sun goes down. I can sit round with exposed arms and legs in safety now, good stuff.