Business trip to Panama. Need to fly business/first class

Closed Thread

Business trip to Panama. Need to fly business/first class

I need to fly on business from Hong Kong to Panama. I tried using Zuji to look up a business or first class ticket, and it was completely worthless.

They gave me the price of a round trip ticket, but no matter what day I selected....it told me there were no seats available. Complete garbage.

Does anyone know any good travel agents that could book me a round trip ticket to Panama for first/business class.

The flight is at best a brutal 23 hour flight, so I want to fly in comfort.

When I immigrated to Hong Kong, I flew first class at a nice 50% discount using this website:

http://luxurytravelsource.com/

Pretty much they upgrade you using someone else's miles which they buy. It worked out great for me. Unfortunately they only service customers who fly FROM the U.S. to another location.

Are there any HK based travel agents that do something like this?

You realise that buying and reselling miles is forbidden under the terms of every frequent flyer programme, so there is a very significant chance that you will simply be denied boarding, with no compensation and the possibility of legal action?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You realise that buying and reselling miles is forbidden under the terms of every frequent flyer programme, so there is a very significant chance that you will simply be denied boarding, with no compensation and the possibility of legal action?
    Well guess what? I had no problem boarding at all. And legal action? Give me break. I have done this several times too when I lived in the United States. All my travel agent told me to say if anyone asks is that it was a gift from whatever name they tell me to say.

Besides that isn't the primary focus of this thread. The focus is looking for a travel agent that can get me a first class ticket to Panama....discounted or not.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be recommending any TAs that I respect to an admitted fraudster.

Bangkok Travel Agent

I have heard of such things happening through Bangkok, Thailand Travel Agents but have never tried.

I know sometimes friends fly to Bangkok to get a cheaper and better overseas flight to Central and South America.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Sorry, but I'm not going to be recommending any TAs that I respect to an admitted fraudster.
    Sounds like you are just a jealous little jerk because you have to rack up those miles in order to fly business class.

Admitted fraudster? I bought these tickets fair and square from luxury travel source when I lived in the states. I wasn't aware that it was against the rules, and even if it was....I am not engaging in criminal activity like you seem to suggest I am.

Read up the definition of "fraud" and stop messing up my thread. Don't you have an english class to teach or something?

For anyone that has anything constructive to add unlike PDLM I went to "Wing On Travel" and they quoted me $81k HKD for business class to Panama. My preferred budget is $51k to $61k, but if there is no other option I will go with $81k. Anyone have any TAs that could possibly help me out?
    Last edited by IceAIM; 30-04-2007 at 08:07 PM.

Theoretically, you can do several things. Here is an example if you are a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) and a member of Asia Miles (AM) (or if you sign up for them):
    * If you use AM, it will require 140000 or 160000 miles to fly round-trip business to Panama.
    * Just say you need 140000 miles. You buy 120000 miles from SPG @USD0.035/mile (i.e., USD4200). Note there may a limit and you may have to do it in several days.
    * Convert the 120000 miles SPG to AM. It is 1:1 and for each 20000 miles, you get an additional 5000. So you will end up having 150000 AM. You may have to do it over a few days too.
    * Now you can get a OW business class award covering 20000 miles for 140000 AM, with 10000 AM left over.

***** Before you try out, please note that there is a catch - getting a business or first class award on CX normally requires an elite Marco Polo Club status. If you are a MPC Diamond member, there should not be a big problem. AM membership alone is going to be quite challenging. *****

(Alternative, you can do the same for AA, but getting AA award on CX business class is even more challenging. UA is another alternative, but the conversion from SPG to UA is 2:1.)

More updates...

I saw that if you can do the round-trip with two carriers (say Cathay and AA), the business class award requires 120000 AM for up to 10000 miles each way, and 145000 AM for 10000+ miles. So IF the plan works, buying 100000 or 120000 SPG points should be good enough. Good luck! (I have not tried this method myself.)

How do I sign up for AM and SPG? How do I "buy" miles using these services?

Lastly how can I get elite Marco Polo Club status? I am not even a Macro Polo Club member.

Well depending on the complexity of becoming an elite Marco Polo Club member I might just end up paying full fare since this is a very important business trip.

Many thanks for your post. It was fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by IceAIM:
    How do I sign up for AM and SPG? How do I "buy" miles using these services?
    www.asiamiles.com - Just sign up and get an account immediately.
    www.spg.com - I got it with my Amercican Express card in the US, but I suppose you can also sign up.
    Buying points - it is mentioned on www.spg.com.

Lastly how can I get elite Marco Polo Club status? I am not even a Macro Polo Club member.

Well depending on the complexity of becoming an elite Marco Polo Club member I might just end up paying full fare since this is a very important business trip.
    www.cathaypacific.com - It will take time to join and move up the tier status, unless being comped an elite status - difficult. However, you can keep this in your mind for future reference.
    Other thoughts:
    * There may still be cheap business class fares available (it was available a month ago) from Cathay departing from Taipei to US - probably check out on www.cathaypacific.com.tw.
    * Try Eva or China Arilines. They are less expensive. Even Economy Delux on Eva is quite comfortable.

Many thanks for your post. It was fantastic!
    You are very welcome.