Like Tree19Likes

Hong Kong Drivers & Secret Signalling

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I don't believe what any Chinese do in indicating etc. Where there is road I will use it, just like any other Chinese driver.

I was driving in China on the weekend and constantly amazed as drivers in pouring rain driving up the back of trucks at 130 kms a hour then cutting in front of you in the next lane.

But HK is quite similar to many western countries in driving.
    Agree mostly. I've driven in London, Europe, Tokyo, Singapore and here. BUT there is more aggression on the roads here and in Singapore. You would be on the receiving end of some real road rage in the UK if you pulled some of the antics I've witnessed!

just drive like everyone else on the road is a moron that could turn in any direction at any time. that's how I drove around central london for years with not so much as a scratch

Yep, just try to think of the worst possible thing that the person in front of you, beside you and behind you could do - and you'll be fine

Plain and simply, they are selfish, arrogant, entitled assholes.

If you tried to talk to any taxi and/or minibus drivers in Hong Kong, you will find that they have their own set of traffic laws, which you will not comprehend at all. In simple terms, the law is

"I am right, you are wrong."

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The reason Hong Kong drivers do not signal is that to do so would give notice of one's intentions to other drivers who would immediately take any necessary action to prevent one from carrying out one's intentions (as advised to me by a professional Hong Kong driver who thought not signalling was dangerous and would rather signal, risking being held up/blocked/etc., in order to ensure he made it home to his family).

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The reason Hong Kong drivers do not signal is that to do so would give notice of one's intentions to other drivers who would immediately take any necessary action to prevent one from carrying out one's intentions (as advised to me by a professional Hong Kong driver who thought not signalling was dangerous and would rather signal, risking being held up/blocked/etc., in order to ensure he made it home to his family).
    I agree 100% if i were to signal a lane change the other driver speeds up to block me as fast as possible. I drive in Mainland, thailand, USA, guam and HK. By far HK has the most agressive drivers I have ever come accoss. They have this sense of entitlement and feel because they can afford a car they are much more important than pedestrians. Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The reason Hong Kong drivers do not signal is that to do so would give notice of one's intentions to other drivers who would immediately take any necessary action to prevent one from carrying out one's intentions .
    You speak the truth.

Just think of driving etiquette here as an extension of pedestrian etiquette (ie, don't think of anyone else, only yourself) and you'll be fine.

I'm a HK driver and I signal even if no cars are behind me, I signal in round abouts as well so dont say all HK drivers are shite

HK doesnt have enough roads to accommodate the number of vehicles its supports so there is always going to be aggression, stupidity, I must cut this person off to get into his lane and be in front of him so that I can gain 1 second mentality.

Most drivers I see do signal when changing lanes, stick their hands out as thanks afterwards (not always but do see it).

People should be grateful that HK does have some sort of road traffic laws which is way better than across the border where a two lane road can have 4 cars wide going down it.

Last edited by wtbhotia; 08-06-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    virago likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast