Like Tree5Likes

HKSAR Passport v/s BNO Passport, which is more valuable?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    True, although the Working Holiday scheme stopped in 2008. It was replaced with the Youth Mobility Scheme.
    Ah right. All I know is my friend who is a BNO holder is on that scheme working in London right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    No - I can see no difference between what a BN(O) and a HKSAR passport holder can do in the UK. The only significant difference between the two is that in third countries (i.e. not China, not UK) if you get into problems and need consular support then you will get it from the British consulate if you entered that country using a BN(O) passport and from the Chinese consulate if you entered using a HKSAR passport.
    Tangent: is this actually the fact? If I had, say, a British passport and an Israeli one, and I was traveling in the US, the British consulate would check my passport for a US entry stamp before giving me support? I'd always assumed that in that sort of case, it wouldn't matter which passport I'd actually entered on...

(the only time I've ever needed any consular support was when I lost my British passport in Israel, as it happens)

I'm not sure, but it's what I read. I guess that if you don't give them any reason to suspect that you have another passport then either would help you. Obviously you'd need to be able to produce the passport (unless losing it was what you needed help for).

I am of Nepalese nationality

Quote Originally Posted by tofuoberry:
    <br />
    <br />
    but do bno let me live in uk?
    if you are under 31, you can work there for 2 years under youth mobility scheme

Quote Originally Posted by anthro:
    I am of Nepalese nationality
    And were you born in Hong Kong?

Numbers of visa free contries are not the important point as the most visited contries by HKers are visa free with BNO thr thing is consular service and protection. HKSAR passport holders are protected by the chinese embassy n consulate and they are usually rude ,slow and not efficient and even ask hksar p holders to directly contact hk Immigration , there was a case in egypt ,a gilr from HK was travelling and got in trouble and the chinese embassy failed to help her , she was travelling with sar passport later she didnt hold the BNO on hand at that time but she rememberdd and asked the british consulate for help she could be released just few hours later, so which one wi you choose.? For me , BNO. stupid HK ppl will only consider numbers of visa free . Be wise dont be so local thinker.

i dont think the Brits will do anything for BNO holders in case of a emergency evacation. The Chinese have shown they will fly as many jets as they need to to repatriate their citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    i dont think the Brits will do anything for BNO holders in case of a emergency evacation. The Chinese have shown they will fly as many jets as they need to to repatriate their citizens.
    well, you got to give credit that UK considered ( probably not for very long or seriously) relocating 5.5million hk people to northern Ireland, so it appears that BNO had it's potential usage then ( theoretically)

Bring both and chose whatever suits the purpose best.