Like Tree5Likes

HKSAR Passport v/s BNO Passport, which is more valuable?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HKSAR Passport v/s BNO Passport, which is more valuable?

I want to know why is it hard to apply for the British Passport? Why is it so much worht? Does it allow to go to any country without any restirction.

I heard that you have to become chinese nationality to get HKSAR passport, is it true? what else you have to do to get hksar passport and what is it worth? Is it worth it? Does it allow me to go to any country without restriction?

I'm puzzled, which is harder to apply, BNO or HKSAR? which is better if i don't have to worry about traveling the world and live in any country i want.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

It has not been possible to apply for BN(O) status since 1997. If you didn't get it then can't get it now, so the question is moot.

Yes, to carry a HKSAR passport you must be a Chinese Citizen. If you weren't born a Chinese Citizen then becoming a Chinese Citizen requires you to renounce all other citizenships.

No passport allows you to live in many foreign countries without a visa (the best would be the passport of any EU country, which would allow you (with a few exceptions) to live in any other EU country).

Last edited by PDLM; 25-06-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    anthro, HongKongFoot and Morrison like this.

in my opinion + hearing from the locals, the HKSAR passport allows you to visit more countries than the BNO can without a pre-applied visa.

by reviewing your question it seems you dont have both, what passport are you holding at the moment.

anthro likes this.

Once you have BN(O) status you have it for life unless you actively renounce it. So even if you let your BN(O) passport expire you can always get another one in future if you need. Given how expensive British passports are I wouldn't get one if I wasn't going to use it.

No - I can see no difference between what a BN(O) and a HKSAR passport holder can do in the UK. The only significant difference between the two is that in third countries (i.e. not China, not UK) if you get into problems and need consular support then you will get it from the British consulate if you entered that country using a BN(O) passport and from the Chinese consulate if you entered using a HKSAR passport.

Last edited by PDLM; 26-06-2011 at 01:06 PM.

By the way, how do i apply for change of nationality, change to chinese nationality, what form do i need to fill. Thanks.

All the details you need are here: GovHK: Application for Naturalisation as a Chinese National

If you aren't a HK Permanent Resident or of Chinese ethnicity or otherwise stateless then your application will almost certainly be rejected.

Last edited by PDLM; 26-06-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    anthro likes this.

anthro: what nationality are you now?

With BNO you can apply for a working holiday visa in UK. With hksar you can't

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    With BNO you can apply for a working holiday visa in UK. With hksar you can't
    True, although the Working Holiday scheme stopped in 2008. It was replaced with the Youth Mobility Scheme.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast