Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Horseman

Minsk World, Aircraft Carrier in Sha Tau Kok

Closed Thread

Minsk World, Aircraft Carrier in Sha Tau Kok

I would like to go and visit the 'Minsk world' former Russian Aircraft Carrier which is moored at Sha Tau Kok on the Shenzhen side. It's been converted into some kind of theme park.

But I heard some time ago that the attraction was losing money and may close.

Does anyone know if it is still open?

And while on the subject, would it be possible to cross the HK/Shenzhen border at Sha Tau Kok? Or must I go via Lowu?

I remember reading about this thing in 2004 when the Russians put it up for sale. Couple of my buddies were joking about turning it into a new hip floating bar/restaraunt/dance club theme park in Chicago . Minsk World should still be open. It is listed on the Shenzhen government official tourist attraction site:

http://english.sz.gov.cn/tis/200611/...112_158977.htm

However, I saw on-line that the founding company, Minsk World Industries Co. Ltd, defaulted on its loans and went bankrupt in 2006. The ship was placed for auction in May - with no bidders - for $16 million USD. According to the terms of the auction, the owner of the vessel will have to keep it running as a theme park for another five years. So you should still have ample time to visit.

It's still there - saw it from Pat Sing Leng peak last weekend!
    I visited it 4 years ago and it really was a bizarre theme park - but I have an interest in military history so it was really fun. I also was looking into going again some time soon. Their website has a phone number, and I was going to get a Chinese friend to ring it for me as they are unlikely to speak any English just to confirm details.

The bus leave from Lo Wu and takes about 1/2 hour or so - getting off was helped by showing the driver the place in Chinese and he told us to get off.

Worth a visit, that's for sure.

There are 4 control point crossings to Shenzhen from Hong Kong. Lok Ma Chau and Lo Wu are the easiest for most people as they use public transport. The others don't offer visa services, and are normally private car only. I think Sha Tau Kok has a bus from Sheung Shui though. May be best to use Lo Wu control point.

Still Open in 2014

Even though this in an old post, the Minsk World is still open. I visited last week. It is not a bad place to take teenage boys. Make sure you tour all the decks from the Bridge to the below decks.

shri and parryhotter like this.