Like Tree15Likes

Tibet pictures

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iris_geo2011:
    I've already reduced the size but they still look so big... I took a course before, do you have any suggestions?
    Yes - take a better course.
    Cwbguy and climber07 like this.

I was not impressed by the train ride after we drove from Chengdu to Lhasa. Rt 318 has much better views than the train. This is on the border of Sichuan and Tibet Autonomous Region. Altitude 4685 meters

Yading Nature Reserve, Sichuan.. the last Shangri-la

never took any photography course No photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by qlloaky:
    Wow, can you advice how I can get to Tibet? I want to take a ride in the train, up or down doesn't matter
    Last edited by pizzalover; 28-07-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris_geo2011:
    I've already reduced the size but they still look so big... I took a course before, do you have any suggestions?
    Yes... you should re-size the images based on the pixels to make sure they are appropriate size for web presentation.

As you are posting your album on-line and sharing it in a public forum, I'm assuming you're either looking for praise or critique so let me offer some advice.

As far as your photography:

Picture 7 of 16: Although you have a nice reflection of the sky and relatively ok composition you have clearly overexposed the clouds on the top left of the frame which are drawing away the attention from the image. The remains of the fence post on the lower right of the image frame is also sloppy and distracting. To correct your exposure, either shoot at a more opportune time of day, use graduated ND filters or learn how to use your exposure metering effectively.

Picture 6 of 16: The image is again overexposed, the composition is noisy (look around the edges of the frame....it's distracting). The building is clearly showing perspective distortion.

Picture 5 of 16: The main subject...your flower is again Overexposed! Are you seeing a pattern forming here?

A lot of your landscape shots lack subject / interest imho and many also suffer from severe glass reflection.

I would highly recommend in investing into a book called: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and then perhaps investing into a few accessories like tripod, circular polarizer, Graduated ND filters, etc.

I would also recommend joining the Hong Kong Photography Club, where you can get help and critique from other members (both amateur and pros).

Hong Kong Photography Club Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup

While photography is not my primary vocation, I am a semi-pro often working on commissioned jobs in Hong Kong and US, regularly contributing to Getty Images (as stock and editorial photographer). My work has been featured in numerous international publications (including front pages of SCMP) as well as editorial selection of National Geographic Photography Contest.
    shri likes this.

Love the top shot pizzalover....although would have preferred just a bit more foreground a little less sky. Horizons in the middle of the frame in landscape shots should be avoided as much as possible.

Interesting subject. So - how much is it the camera and how much the photographer? MrMin07 took some tremendous photos in the Alps recently .... on his iphone.....

Last edited by MovingIn07; 28-07-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    PDLM, Satay Sue and BenderBends like this.

Indeed - it seems that with most people the iPhone produces dreadful photos, but your example shows that this is not inherent to the phone. I used to have a fancy Canon SLR and various accessories (*), but frankly the compact that I now have produces some superb photos whenever I can be bothered to get into the manual settings, and very good ones just in point and shoot mode. And a fair bit of fine-tuning can be done in software anyway. I really can't justify to myself now lugging a huge great SLR around, and the results I see from most people who do are no better than could be achieved with a compact (or even an iPhone).

(*) In fact I still have - free to a good home if anyone has a good use for a Canon EOS600 film camera with 70-210 and 35-135 lenses. And a flash gun probably.

Last edited by PDLM; 28-07-2011 at 11:26 AM.

I looked at the picture again. It would look much better if following your advice. I guess I was just overwhelmed by the blue crisp sky. The lake is Sisters Sea or Eyes Sea.
    The DSLR camera is cheaper than Iphone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    Love the top shot pizzalover....although would have preferred just a bit more foreground a little less sky. Horizons in the middle of the frame in landscape shots should be avoided as much as possible.
    Last edited by pizzalover; 28-07-2011 at 11:32 AM.

PDLM, will gladly take that film camera off your hands

I use a compact camera too - and not a great one at that because my requirements were 1) waterproof and 2) everything else. It still takes ok pictures if I manage to compose them well. And having great material (the Alps) really helps!

[well I tried to upload a few photos, but emailing them to myself failed ... perhaps later when I have more time]

It's really all about a photographer and not the camera..... my friend recently did quite well in a very tough photo competition with this iPhone entry:

- U n t i t l e d - by Anthony_D_Archer - DPChallenge