Penang Accomodation

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49

    Penang Accomodation

    Hi All!

    I need some trustworthy expact advice! I have just booked a flight to Penang for the middle of July and I need somewhere to stay...I am travelling on my own so I am looking for something like a small apartment, preferably something quite nice. Does anyone know of anywhere cheap but clean and reasonably sociable so I can meet some people!?

    The other thing is I really want to do my PADI diving or atleast do a dive!...can anyone tell me if they do packages out there and how I can look into this while I am in Penang?!

    Thanks!

    Shell


  2. #2

    A lil bit of info

    Hi,
    I m from pg married to a hk husband. Erm..u can try to find some cheap accomodation for foreign travellers around Penang Road (town centre, Georgetown) which cost RM100- RM40 /day. U will meet many of them like u travelling around. About the diving, u will need to travel to a place call Pisa Sports Centre near airport area to get a course for diving. Not sure for the price.

    Try this for hotels around Georgetown area.
    http://yellowpages.com.my/search_cat.jsp?sf=w&qtype=param&name=motel+penang& cv=all&op=home&cls=Hotels+%28In+Peninsular+Malaysi a%29&st=Pulau+Pinang&ct=&p=0&ao=A


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepypiggy:
    Hi,
    I m from pg married to a hk husband. Erm..u can try to find some cheap accomodation for foreign travellers around Penang Road (town centre, Georgetown) which cost RM100- RM40 /day. U will meet many of them like u travelling around. About the diving, u will need to travel to a place call Pisa Sports Centre near airport area to get a course for diving. Not sure for the price.

    Try this for hotels around Georgetown area.
    http://yellowpages.com.my/search_cat.jsp?sf=w&qtype=param&name=motel+penang& cv=all&op=home&cls=Hotels+%28In+Peninsular+Malaysi a%29&st=Pulau+Pinang&ct=&p=0&ao=A

    Penang Road have lots of cheap accomodation but not a "nice" apartment. The building was a bit old and dirty. Higher you pay, higher you can expected. If RM40, you maybe can to get a bed in a clean dorm or a average clean room. Few years ago, I only manage to get a so-so room for about RM70. Try to visit travel agent in Penang, some of them have contract rate with the hotel, they can get you a 3star or lower 4star hotel at rate less than RM150/day.

    Georgetown was more convenient for transportation but a lot of traveller enjoy beach in Batu Ferringhi. (maybe miss spell) Batu Ferrighi should have some cheap accomodation also.

    Shell, if you looking for some small temporary apartment, I think it should be a quite hard mission for you.

    If I am not mistaken, the PISA sport center should be in the place call RELAU, quite a distance (few km) before airport from Georgetown.

    Maybe sleepypiggy can help to confirm the info I mentioned here, I am not 100% sure about it. Because my last visit to Penang was about 3 years ago.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49

    Thank you guys...I booked a hostel and I'm all good...but your advice was much appreciated!


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1

    There are some good value hotels in Penang. I am always looking for the best hotel deal and have recently found a great new site that makes it very easy and quick...

    Hotel Price Finder
    www.hotelpricefinder.com


    It searches over 28 different hotel sites (including HotelClub and AsiaRooms) in one go and then lists them in order of price. You can then click through to book with the hotel site direct.

    Hope you find it useful too.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49

    Thank you very much...I will write that website down for future trips!

    Shell


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by shell07:
    I need some trustworthy expact advice! I have just booked a flight to Penang for the middle of July and I need somewhere to stay...I am travelling on my own so I am looking for something like a small apartment, preferably something quite nice. Does anyone know of anywhere cheap but clean and reasonably sociable so I can meet some people!?

    Shell
    I don't know apartments in penang, but...

    there are tons of small cheap hotels, as well as expensive star hotels.

    It depends on your style. If you want a star hotel, you can try the Shangri-La.

    If you want something safe and clean for less, you can try the Peking Hotel on Penang Road. You get a nice room with bath and tv and a view overlooking the main street if you want. Sometimes some noisy families might move in near you. But you can move to another floor. A few years ago I think it cost about 100 ringit.

    Along and just off Chulia street there are a million hotels of all ranges. A lot of backpackers go there and some who are undoubtedly also going for diving licenses.

    Just sit in one of the outdoor cafes and you will be able to meet people.

    Always count your change in Penang.
    Last edited by sarpesius; 09-07-2007 at 04:38 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49

    Thanks for the help I am staying in Batu Ferringhi (don't worry not many people have heard of it) and I have found a cheap hostel there, 3 days to go...that has come by ver quickly!

    Thanks again!


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by shell07:
    Thanks for the help I am staying in Batu Ferringhi (don't worry not many people have heard of it) and I have found a cheap hostel there, 3 days to go...that has come by ver quickly!

    Thanks again!
    Shell, so your final decision was the beach~Batu Ferringhi.

    Nice view, close to beach.

    But beware, Batu Ferringhi was one of the beach affected by the Tsunami, if I am not mistaken. Ha...ha...ha...


    Don't missed the fried chicken skin, Rojak, Laksa, Char Keow Teow...etc from the New Gurney Drive (In between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi).

    Penang has so many so many delicious foods...don't missed it.

    Don't forget to prepare more coins if you want to use buses service, if not mistaken, because no change given. My last visited, mini buses cost RM0.80 for short distance. If pay paper note, they didn't give back the change.

    Beware about the taxi also, because they didn't use the meter, have to smart to negotiate the fare.

    All I mentioned was 3 years ago info from my last visit.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49

    Yes! I thought so!!! I looked Batu Ferringhi up on the net and it mentioned the Tsunami but I didn't realise Penang had really been hit! Oh well it looks beautiful and I am really looking forward to it!

    Cheers!


Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast