Airline reviews

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Airline reviews

The problem with people coming on here with complaints about airlines is that they are usually based on one incident (which is often to do with the ground staff anyway and not always the fault of the airline). I have had bad incidents with many airlines, but I have also had pleasant flights with many of the same ones. Things go wrong sometimes, its not worth losing sleep over after the event.

My latest moan - HK Airlines. On the flight I asked the stewardess at the front where the baby changing facilities where. At the back of the plane she said. Went to the back, at the front the stewardess there said. Went back to the front. We don't have any facilities she now said. After about 15 mins, and probably related to the wonderful aroma that was by now wafting around the plane, she came back to say she had made a mistake and there were facilities at the back. My wife then decided, being a stubborn sod and given that there was only about 30 mins to go on the flight, we would not change her. So if you were on that plane apologies for the smell

With HK Airlines to Clark you were lucky not to get cancelled or retimed at the last minute! Having been messed around by them I simply won't use them now until they have proven their ability to run a stable and reliable schedule.

They seem to have got better since the CR Airways days, not had any cancellations or even significant delays in the last few flights. Had more problems with PAL to be honest. Touch wood as I'm flying to Clark again on Friday.

Same crappy piece of cake though.

Flew with Dragonair last Friday, power went out as we were backing out of the gate. First time I have ever seen a stewardess using a loudhailer.

And the Clark route still doesn't figure in the schedules on their website at all (and the destination information for "Clark" is actually for Subic).

We're still sticking with Cathay for the time being, even if it does cost a little more overall.

KLM and Air France are crap- too many reasons to list why.

KLM used to be a great airline, one of the best, but are now highly substandard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:

KLM used to be a great airline, one of the best, but are now highly substandard.
    My only problem with Air France was that the stewardess refused to speak to me in English

yeah, agree. it's real tough to judge on just one person's view. a good site to get a better overview is:
    http://www.airlinequality.com/
    an airline review site with quite a few user experiences/ comments. (am looking it as am thinking of flying oasis back to london this summer, my best mate got food poisoning with them but i might risk it cos the prices are pretty damned irresistible)

another one to bear in mind is:
    http://www.seatexpert.com/
    it details the best seats (and on which airline and plane model). it's probably a bit geeky but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:

I usually fly Cathay or Air France to go back to Europe and both are very good so far, so I guess it really depends on the ppl....

BA - Elitist attitudes. If your flying premium classes its Ok , Economy your just baggage. Everyone is definately not created equal. Refuse ( as a Brit ) to fly with them. Its embarrasing to have them be the window to my country but the foreigners vote them as good.

Virgin- Star struck. Airside staff fawn over anyone who is Z list celeb and above if your in Upper Class. Flew on one occassion with Haley Mills ( UK child star thousands of years ago ) to US . The whole cabin crew had brown noses at the end. Similar coming back with a couple who apparently had appeared in some reality show. Econ is actually Ok and staff try real hard. However the agents they have at there outbound hubs need more " Virginiasation". JFK lot are scum.

CP HK to LHR. Nondescript is the best I can rate them. Never flown premium so maybe thats where they put the effort. Have mate who is a first pilot on the Aussie / US runs and he doesn't sing their praises but again they are famous for treating staff with an iron glove.

Singapore - GREAT Airline. Cool decor and good service. Anywhere in Asia I choose them.

Emarites- Only flew once HK - Gulf - LHR and return. As Singapore and would have no qualms about using that service again.

Aeroflot - Not used them for a while and they apparanetly have improved a lot. Love Moscow airport for all the wrong reasons. Its where all the cake tins go to die. Look at the terminal roof and you'll see what I mean. Also if your a Vodka freak its the place to do your shopping . Beware the copy handbags ( true ! ) Have flown the Shanghai route in business and the plane they ( used to ? ) have is a Tupolev something. Best description - A converted military transport and business no different to Econ on Western airlines. Flew the Airbus Moscow to LHR on that ticket and was comfy surrounded by Russians with bad dyed hair and cheap clothes.
    To be fair I think they have changed some in the last 2 years. For sure the cabin staff are no longer 50 yr old farm workers with only two words of English " Chicken, Fish "

NZ Air - will be travelling with them shortly after hearing good things and the price is good.

Oasis - I have posted on this before. They deserve to succeed and do nothing wrong on the airside at all. Like Virgin they need to get there agents sorted at the " other " end. Beware Gatwick !!!!

China Domestics - They take you from A to B and the external appearance of the aircraft is an advert for global warming and industrial pollution BUT BUT BUT - Please can they get someone to sort out the inflight eats. Even my wife ( who is Chinese ) won't eat it.
    Any of you that travel the train long distance domestically will understand the lack of interest the Chinese have in providing tasty food for travellers. Luckily KFC have outlets adjacent to most major train stations - Grap a Bucket Meal and Go ! My wife is a pot noodle expert.

My wife insists a) we only use Dragonair because all Chinese airplanes crash !! b) If we can't it has to be a new aircraft and Oh Joe ( Europe ) meaning Airbus for the same reason. I am therefore gratefull that she is not an experianced plane spotter.

Delta - before the problems - lots of love in that company

AA - Nondescript like a McDonalds. You wonder why you went there but you keep going back. Learned the lesson that they use airplanes like cars in the US. My " Mr Interesting " seat neighbour able to identify every cluster of light below and even told me when they where due to due a sharp turn. Sad or what !

American Eagle ( short hop US domestic ) - Loved the Biggles attitude. Flew from Boston to Loring Maine in something just bigger than Spitfire . They asked us all to sit at the back of the plane for take off !! The cabin girl was no taller than 5ft . Great adventure.

Ryan Air. Does what is says on the ticket. They have the most performance focused culture I have ever seen.
    Frankfurt ( Hahn ) to Lon Stanstead 10 minutes late into Hahn . At the stop front and back door open. People off at the front , New in at the back. Arrived Stanstead 5 mins early on original shedule. A little worrying is the speed they taxi at. Isn't there a speed limit on the aprons?

Flown them all over the place in Europe and think of them highly. Oasis are doing a tie in with Easy Jet ( Colour co ordination?) I hear but they should do it with Ryan.

Austrian Airlines. Who ever thought Metal Chairs could be suitable in the transit area of Vienna Airport needs shooting. The flights Ok if not memorable but take a cushion with you.

Lufthansa - If you love leather you'll love these guys in Premium. The company is very " efficient " as you would expect but as a Brit I am programmed to be frightened when a German smiles at me. Even if they are a babe in a sexy uniform. Germans , Uniform - I am already feeling uneasy !

KLM - Haven't flown with them since the merger but where good when I did. Chose them because I could do the hop from Shipol ( Greatest terminal DF facilites in the world ) to Lon Stanstead. ( fast and efficient, cheap parking )

On all airlines I alwys migrate to those that use Airbus on the longhaul. Boeings seem always to be cramped to me. Even the beast that is the 777.

>> Germans , Uniform - I am already feeling uneasy !

Thanks for the laugh.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast