Baby Jumping Colacho Festival

Closed Thread

Baby Jumping Colacho Festival

Did anyone of you have detail about this Spain's festival?

Er, come on! Google it and get 2580 articles about it!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Er, come on! Google it and get 2580 articles about it!
    Maybe your google are more powerful than mine, my pervious search show me 281 result only. And most of the page show similar writing and same picture. My magazine have more picture than those found on the website.

This is the best I can get.

Since 1620 Castrillo de Murcia has celebrated Corpus Christi with a bizarre event that sees grown men leap over helpless babies, an act that is known as El Colacho. Dressed as the devil, carrying whips and sometimes truncheons, it is believed that as the incarnate devils jump they take all their evil with them and the children are cleansed.
    The Catholic festival of Corpus Christi is celebrated all over Spain with processions, mystery plays and a wide variety of popular celebrations, but this one has to be the strangest. The shadowy brotherhood of Santêsimo Sacramento de Minerva - the people responsible for organising the celebrations - also chase and terrorise anybody and everybody in the town at regular intervals throughout the day.

The event's origins are vague, but the celebration is an example of the mix of traditional Spanish folklore and religion, and great fun to watch! The celebrations continue for a few days but the most important day is the Sunday following Corpus Christi.
    Maybe you can get more info for me since your Google so powerful.

Anyone of you have more details? No BS please.