Chiang Mai in August

Closed Thread

Chiang Mai in August

We are considering a short trip to Chiang Mai around mid August. What kind of weather should we expect? Also, what are the not-to-miss things in Chiang Mai? We are going to be 4 adults and 2 children. Lastly, has anyone tried the "Belle Villa Resort"? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip:
    We are considering a short trip to Chiang Mai around mid August. What kind of weather should we expect? Also, what are the not-to-miss things in Chiang Mai? We are going to be 4 adults and 2 children.
    It should be hot in CM at that time. I don't know if the rainy season will be over or not. Sometimes it does not end until december.

There are a number of regular tourist attractions in that area.

Any of the drivers parked near Thapae Gate can show you a menu with pictures of places to see: the umbrella factory, where they make these cheesy painted umbrellas.

The silverware factory--the thais do make good beaten silver bowls.

Maybe there is a place to see alligators.

I have seen advertized in a small town near Chiang Mai that they have elephants playing soccer.

You should take the luxury bus or hire a rented car (and driver) up to Mae Sai, which the border crossing with burma. There is a big jade market there on the main street.

Try asking at a small cafe named Dtoy's or another called Bake and Bite cafe around a car and driver. They would know.

If you cross over into burma for a day trip, go to the markets under the bridge: there is a ton of stuff from China. Lots of toys, too, that that kids might like.

There are beautiful Buddhist temples, most of carved wood, built in the Lanna style. You can find these just by walking around the small side streets.

The silk they make around there is quite good. If you like that you can pm me and I will tell you where to find the good silk markets.

There are a lot of good crafts too from thailand burma and laos if you like that sort of thing.

I would think the Montri Hotel at around 400 baht a night (11 USD) would be satisfactory. Otherwise many western tourists stay at the Lanna Thai, which has a pool. Its on the same street as the montri, Moonmuang road, although the street changes its name depending on which side of the street you are on.
    Last edited by sarpesius; 30-06-2007 at 09:51 AM.

chiang mai

i must visit doi suthep, it is really beautiful.
    every single hotel over there can provide nice tour (1/2 or one day) to see orchid farms, Mongh village, monkeys, elephant...
    I went to there in june, with a lonely planet. it was not helpfull, especially for the prices wich look to be hasbeen since 20 years.
    have a nice trip

Chiang Mai was a good experience. Not my favourite place in Thailand, but still a nice chill and laid back place.

Things to do:
    - chill out. it's definitely more laid back than the hustle and bustle of Bangkok
    - cooking lessons. I had an amazing experience with an outfit called "A Lot of Thai" (www.alotofthai.com). Came recommended to me by a girl I met in Bangkok. Now I recommend to others.
    - Night market
    - The usual temple visits. LP can guide the way. I rented a bike and got around most of the old town that way.
    - Trekking is a popular option. I'm not that big of a fan.