Like Tree4Likes

Travel Guide - Beijing

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Travel Guide - Beijing

I have been informed that English speaking travel guide is useful at Beijing.

I would like to know if anyone has experience

I contacted one guide and I have been given quote of RMB 700 for 2 days.

Any recommendation about guide and suggestion for charges ??

If you are able to use a subway system and you have a guidebook with Chinese script, then a guide is not really necessary in Beijing. In 2 days, spend one going to the Great Wall and another seeing the Forbidden City. If you have more time see the Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    If you are able to use a subway system and you have a guidebook with Chinese script, then a guide is not really necessary in Beijing. In 2 days, spend one going to the Great Wall and another seeing the Forbidden City. If you have more time see the Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven.
    Thanks for info.

What I would recommend doing is since its only 2 days and a short time frame is that you hire a guide/driver with his own car.

Unless you can speak some Putonghua getting around BJ is a bitch. There is no subway to the wall, subway to T Square and Forbid City, Lama Temple, but no subway to The G Wall of the middle kingdom.

Taxis are a bitch to get during the rush hour commute times in the AM and PM and during inclement weather.

+1
    Anywhere in China, without Chinese is not particularly pleasant. Very few people speak English and those that do will only speak minimal and basic. You will save yourself huge amounts of agro by hiring a car&driver&guide to make the most of your short stay.

Last edited by HowardCoombs; 23-08-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Hire a driver to take you to Mutianyu Great Wall. Look on Beijing classifieds.

HongKongFoot likes this.

700 RMB is ok for two days, what's wrong with that price? If you really need someone then its a fair price.

I don't think there is much value in a guide, unless they are a particularly good guide giving you a personal view about the history of a place. Guides I have seen and heard in China often are just reciting the information plaques in a monotone voice. If you can get an interesting one, with good English, go for it. Otherwise, skip the guide and just pay for transport for half a day to see the GW.

I visited Beijing an came back today. Like to share some experience.
    - Booking tour or tour guides online costs you more
    - On your day 1 go to Silk street market or Forbidden city and look for a guide or tour. Its nice place to look for tours / guides.
    - 1 day tour should cover BaDaling Great wall, Ming Tombs and Olympic stadium (RMB 100 to 120 per person per day - including entrance ticket, lunch, transportation - pick up / drop to hotel)
    - 1 day tour should cover MuTianYu Great wall, Ming Tombs and Olympic stadium (RMB 150 to 180 per person per day - including entrance ticket, lunch, transportation - pick up / drop to hotel)
    - No charges for kids below 1.2 meters (free with parents)
    - One day city tour covers places like Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Forbidden city, Laman Temple, Olympic Stadium etc (RMB 180 to 100 per person per day - including entrance ticket, lunch, transportation - pick up / drop to hotel)

Found a good guide Katherin - 138 11 zero 32 four 25 / Katherin-cn (at) hotmail (d0t) com

Satay Sue and Catalu like this.

Visiting inside city and see Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Forbidden city, Laman Temple, Olympic Stadium by Subway (MTR) is not difficult. RMB 2 per trip.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast