Like Tree23Likes

Avenue of Stars - tourist trap?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Avenue of Stars - tourist trap?

CNNgo thinks so - it thinks the Avenue of Stars in the second worse tourist trap in the world.

For me, a tourist trap is somewhere which is expensive and wastes my time. The Avenue of Stars is free of charge, and if someone doesn't like it they can easily walk away. The attraction for me of the place is not the hand prints you walk over, but the view of the Hong Kong skyline at night - which the writer of the article appears to have missed. The main tourist trap in Hong Kong would perhaps be the Ngong Ping Village which you have to walk through to get to the Big Buddha from the cable car.

Agree with you drumbrake, can't see why it is a tourist trap at all.

Then the peak lookout is the biggest tourist trap. You see exactly the same thing without going two floors up.

Satay Sue and Football16 like this.

They obviously haven't been to half the tourist places on the mainland.

Time Out did a similar thing a few months ago:

The Avenue of Stars – another article for Hong Kong Time Out

drumbrake likes this.

It's a tourist trap because once there you're trapped by tourist. (*grumble, grumble*)

OK place for a night time run along the harbour , bk to hunghom, air is OK.
    'NO smoking' area, but always, plenty of the local 'fisherman' , 'photo touts', SMOKING
    and no 'enforcement', in late evening about 10pm.
    , the male tourist smokers (do not know).
    Some 'mainlander guys' wants to take a picture together with me, NO
    pls. do not, want my photo slandered, on some 'dodgy mainland' blog.

Last edited by dennis1188; 21-09-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

I'd add Hạ Long Bay to the list. Smelly, hot, takes ages to get to, and you're stuck on a big boat with a) a crew trying to sell you crap, and b) loads of smaller boats pulling up with kids boarding like pirates and trying to sell you crap.

dear giant likes this.

Typical low quality CNNGo content trap.

Tourist trap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A tourist trap is an establishment, or group of establishments, that has been created with the aim of attracting tourists[1] and their money. Tourist traps will typically provide services, entertainment, souvenirs and other products for tourists to purchase.
    Now compare the Avenue of Stars with the Peak.

" The main tourist trap in Hong Kong would perhaps be the Ngong Ping Village which you have to walk through to get to the Big Buddha from the cable car. "

a. you don't have to walk through, you could make an immediate right and walk along the bus stop area
    b. the shops mainly consist of restaurants, so if you are not hungry there is no need to consume.
    besides, I don't think the restaurants are overpriced.
    And there are OTHER OPTIONS, e.g. the snack Deli in the monastery, the local food stalls past the
    Ngong Ping village, a 7-11
    c. there is two or three souvenir and stuff shops and it is up to you to walk in

The real tourist trap is the vegetarian restaurant in the monastery, not the snack counter.
    It's low quality food I feel.

Football16 and dear giant like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast