Like Tree86Likes

Chaos at the airport last night

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    My 25 mins was pretty minor (although it was on top of a 2 hour delay in the flight); but my colleague who waited 2 hours for a taxi and did not get home until nearly 4am from a flight due to land at 8pm was in a worse state. Shutting the airport express while flights were still landing was sheer lunacy and entirely avoidable.
    2 hours taxi wait is pretty common is some of the so called developed nations (think Singapore where you could wait more than an hour even if you are calling them on the phone during peak hour but happen to be in the middle of CBD)

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    True... Did you see all the advertisements last month saying "T8 typhoon signal - coming to a location near you at the end of September. Get your tickets now!"

While they were printing all those posters they should've thought about extra trains too...

That's the problem with this city, not enough planning for unplannable situations!
    That's right - it would be *impossible* to have a contingency plan in place to get employees to work and extra trains running within a couple of hours of a T8 signal coming down when you would quite reasonably expect heavier air traffic with many passengers needing to get into town...
    dear giant and Dreadnought like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    That's right - it would be *impossible* to have a contingency plan in place to get employees to work and extra trains running within a couple of hours of a T8 signal coming down when you would quite reasonably expect heavier air traffic with many passengers needing to get into town...
    I'm glad you agree.

Guys, just admit we are spoilled and cannot tolerate any delays.

FFS when I have to wait for the MTR for more than 4 minutes I find the time LONG.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:

But all that happened last night was some people had to be bused from their aircraft (resulting in delays getting off the aircraft) and some people had to wait a few hours for a taxi. What is the big deal? What failed? This type of thing happens in every city in the world all the time, with or without a T8.

You want the airport express to extend operations past the 00:48 nightly shutdown because the taxi line is long??? But already there is an extremely efficient night bus system that handles the overnight traffic of the 24 hour airport. If the night buses stopped last night, as originally claimed, then yes I would be on here screaming. But I find it hard to believe that was the case.
    mercury_element likes this.

@ mat: LOL, I got spoilt in Tokyo, Singapore & now here! Dread to think how I'll get on if we ever go back to UK!

I would much prefer to get somewhere a few hours late than have it delayed till the next day...can't please everyone.

Totally agree with Mat. UK public transport system stops if leaves fall on the track or a bit of snow comes about and the cost ppfff.....must be nearly triple the cost of HK I'd reckon.

I used to wait for a bus which came every hr to go to work in the UK. If I missed it I was fuggered. Especially in the winter. Brrr

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Gotta say I am amused at the guy taking the day off "to recover" !
    He got home at 4am. He's required to do 40 hours a week. If he spends 8 extra hours travelling, it's not his free time so how can I ask him to work extra? I sent him to Manila. (this guys works really hard anyway)
    luckycat likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast